Testing for Neglected Nonlinearity in Weekly Foreign Exchange Rates
This study investigates the presence of neglected nonlinearity in weekly exchange rates of five countries in terms of Australian dollar. Three prominent nonlinear models from the ARCH family, such as the EGARCH, GARCH-M and EGARCH-M are fitted to the first differenced log of exchange rate series. The logs of the squared standardized residuals from the fitted models are tested for any leftover nonlinear structure using the BDS test. The nature of the leftover nonlinear dependence is identified using the Odd Product Moment Test of Hsieh (1991). Overall, the empirical evidence obtained in this study support the claim that the ARCH-type models cannot capture all the nonlinearities in financial asset returns.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
|Order Information:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsieh, David A, 1989. "Testing for Nonlinear Dependence in Daily Foreign Exchange Rates," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 339-68, July.
- Liu, T & Granger, C W J & Heller, W P, 1992. "Using the Correlation Exponent to Decide whether an Economic Series is Chaotic," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S25-39, Suppl. De.
- LeBaron, B., 1996.
"Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreing Exchange Intervention,"
9445r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- LeBaron, Blake, 1999. "Technical trading rule profitability and foreign exchange intervention," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 125-143, October.
- Blake LeBaron, 1994. "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention," International Finance 9411002, EconWPA.
- Blake LeBaron, 1996. "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention," NBER Working Papers 5505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blake LeBaron, . "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention," Working papers _002, University of Wisconsin - Madison.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Bonser-Neal, Catherine & Roley, V. Vance & Sellon, Gordon H., 2000. "The effect of monetary policy actions on exchange rates under interest-rate targeting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 601-631, October.
- Hsieh, David A., 1992. "A nonlinear stochastic rational expectations model of exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 235-250, June.
- Abhyankar, A & Copeland, L S & Wong, W, 1995. "Nonlinear Dynamics in Real-Time Equity Market Indices: Evidence from the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 864-80, July.
- Hsieh, David A, 1991. " Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics: Application to Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1839-77, December.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Angelos Kanas, 1997. "Nonlinear dependence in British pound exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(10), pages 631-633.
- Abhyankar, A & Copeland, L S & Wong, W, 1997. "Uncovering Nonlinear Structure in Real-Time Stock-Market Indexes: The S&P 500, the DAX, the Nikkei 225, and the FTSE-100," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 1-14, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bap:journl:110306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.