Reconfiguring competitiveness on the European e-tradable services market
European economies are undergoing dramatic changes, determined by the rise in knowledge-intensity of economic activities, as an effect of the escalating pace of technological change, on one hand, and by the increasing globalization of economic affairs, driven by markets liberalization, on the other hand, having as consequence the emergence and development of a new type of economy, knowledge-based. This paper aims at evaluating the positioning of Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs), and especially that of Romania, in the transformation process of their economic structure and organization towards a knowledge-based economy. In order to determine the specific characteristics of these countries, that could contribute to successfully developing a knowledge-based economy, we will focus our analysis on exploring the potential for offshoring e-tradable services, especially among developed countries, old EU members (EU 15) and CEE developing countries, new Member States of the EU. Therefore, we aim at demonstrating that CEE countries, including Romania, have become part of this emerging global division of labor driven by fragmentation of production, through identifying the options available to these countries for participating in the exploding international trade in e-tradable services.
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 36 (may)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Str. A.I. Cuza nr. 13, Craiova|
Phone: 004 0251 411317
Fax: 004 0251 411317
Web page: http://feaa.ucv.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Oecd, 2005. "Potential Offshoring of ICT-intensive Using Occupations," OECD Digital Economy Papers 91, OECD Publishing.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Wunsch, Sacha, 2004. "Pre-empting protectionism in services - the WTO and outsourcing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3237, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aio:aucsse:v:2:y:2008:i:11:p:739-749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anca Bandoi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.