Impact Of Real Exchange Rates On Exports Of Agricultural Commodities: Evidence From India
This study attempts to analyze the effect of volatility in the real exchange rate of Indian Rupee with US Dollar, UK Pound, Euro and Japanese Yen on India’s real exports of agricultural commodities such as Tea, Coffee, Cereals and Rice to Euro area, USA, UK and Japan for the period 2002-2009 using panel data analysis. The real exports of Coffee, Tea, Cereals, and Rice of India to Euro Area, USA, UK and Japan were taken from the COMTRADE Data base of United Nations. The real GDP index of the respective trading partners of India and their CPI is collected from the “OECD stat” data base of OECD. Monthly nominal exchange rate of Indian rupee with Euro, US Dollar, UK pound and Japanese were collected from the “Business Beacon” database provided by Centre for monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE). The results indicate that the exports of Tea and Coffee are affected by the real exchange rate volatility whereas the exports of Cereals and Rice are affected by real exchange rate.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 11 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 0232 201070
Fax: 004 0232 217000
Web page: http://rebs.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Mamoni Kalita, 2011. "Governance and Foreign Aid in ASIAN Countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 453-465.
- Padma Gotur, 1985. "Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade: Some Further Evidence (Effets de l'instabilitÃ© des taux de change sur le commerce mondial: nouvelles constatations) (Efectos de la inestabilidad de los t," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 475-512, September.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 2005. "Exchange rate volatility and the United States exports: evidence from Canada and Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 51-71, March.
- Franc Klaassen, 2000.
"Why is it so Difficult to Find an Effect of Exchange Rate Risk on Trade?,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0133, Econometric Society.
- Klaassen, Franc, 2004. "Why is it so difficult to find an effect of exchange rate risk on trade?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 817-839, September.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-15, May.
- Ashima Goyal, 2010. "Evolution of India's exchange rate regime," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-024, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Swarnjit Arora & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2003. "Bilateral J-curve between India and her trading partners," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1037-1041.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1985. "Devaluation and the J-Curve: Some Evidence from LDCs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 500-504, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Rajarshi Mitra, 2008. "Exchange Rate Risk and Commodity Trade Between the U.S. and India," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 71-80, February.
- Pozo, Susan, 1992. "Conditional Exchange-Rate Volatility and the Volume of International Trade: Evidence from the Early 1900s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 325-29, May.
- Rajen Mookerjee, 1997. "Export volume, exchange rates and global economic growth: the Indian experience," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(7), pages 425-429.
- Tarlok Singh, 2004. "Testing J-curve hypothesis and analysing the effect of exchange rate volatility on the balance of trade in India," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 227-245, 05.
- A. A. Bevan & J. Danbolt, 2004. "Testing for inconsistencies in the estimation of UK capital structure determinants," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 55-66.
- Asseery, A. & Peel, D. A., 1991. "The effects of exchange rate volatility on exports : Some new estimates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 173-177, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aic:revebs:y:2011:i:11:gautamv. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sireteanu Napoleon-Alexandru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.