On The Exchange Rate Risk Contribution To The Performance Of International Investments: The Case Of Romania
The paper examines the impact of changes in the Romanian currency exchange rates against the US dollar and the euro on an investment in the Romanian stock market from the perspective of a US dollar and euro based investor. Our analysis is directed towards identifying the significance of exchange rate volatility for the total risk of a Romanian investment from the perspective of investors with the US dollar and euro as reference currencies. Our results indicate that during more turbulent times investors were better off if invested in their home markets. We also find that the exchange rate risk decreased the risk that a US dollar or a euro-based investor was exposed to in Romania. The contribution of exchange rate risk to the risk of an international investor diversified in his home market and the Romanian market is small, even negative, with no significant differences turbulent versus normal times.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 0232 201070
Fax: 004 0232 217000
Web page: http://rebs.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell R. Harvey & Bruno Solnik & Guofu Zhou, 2002.
"What Determines Expected International Asset Returns?,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 3(2), pages 249-298, November.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Bruno Solnik & Guofu Zhou, 1994. "What Determines Expected International Asset Returns?," NBER Working Papers 4660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Bruno Solnik & Guofu Zhou, 2002. "What Determines Expected International Asset Returns?," CEMA Working Papers 503, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Kiymaz, Halil, 2003. "Estimation of foreign exchange exposure: an emerging market application," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 71-84, February.
- Alberto Giovannini & Philippe Jorion, 1988.
"The Time-Variation of Risk and Return in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2573, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto & Jorion, Philippe, 1989. " The Time Variation of Risk and Return in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 307-25, June.
- Bugàr, Gyöngyi & Maurer, Raimond, 2001. "International Equity Portfolios and Currency Hedging: The Viewpoint of German and Hungarian Investors," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-10, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Alexandra Horobet & Livia Ilie, 2007. "Real Exchange Rates And Stock Prices: Insights Into The Competitiveness Of Romanian Economy," Studies in Business and Economics, Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences, vol. 2(2), pages 30-40, October.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-85, December.
- Kim, Ki-ho, 2003. "Dollar exchange rate and stock price: evidence from multivariate cointegration and error correction model," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 301-313.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Levy, Haim & Lim, Kok Chew, 1994. "Forward exchange bias, hedging and the gains from international diversification of investment portfolios," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-170, April.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1993. "Currency Hedging over Long Horizons," NBER Working Papers 4355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gao, Ting, 2000. "Exchange rate movements and the profitability of U.S. multinationals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 117-134, February.
- Alexandra HOROBET & Sorin DUMITRESCU, 2008. "Insights Into Central And Eastern European Countries Competitiveness: On The Exposure Of Capital Markets To Exchange Rate Risk," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 2, pages 107-125, November.
- Nahum Biger, 1979. "Exchange Risk Implications of International Portfolio Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(2), pages 63-74, June.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521064330 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aic:revebs:y:2009:i:3:horobeta. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sireteanu Napoleon-Alexandru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.