Retail Food Store Inventory Behavior
A stock-adjustment model is applied to monthly retail food store inventory data from 1968 through 1988. Estimates of the speed-of-adjustment coefficient (.34 to .75) are higher than estimates from previous research, indicating that periods of inventory disequilibrium in food retailing are short-lived. The results indicate that inventories are insensitive to financial carrying costs. The hypothesis that parameters of the model are constant over the sample period cannot be rejected, indicating that changes in food retailing (e.g., electronic scanning and diversification of product mixes) have not affected inventory behavior.
Volume (Year): 15 (1990)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Miron & Stephen P. Zeldes, .
"Seasonality, Cost Shocks and the Production Smoothing Model of Inventories,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
01-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Miron, Jeffrey A & Zeldes, Stephen P, 1988. "Seasonality, Cost Shocks, and the Production Smoothing Models of Inventories," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 877-908, July.
- Jeffrey A. Miron & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1989. "Seasonality, Cost Shocks, and the Production Smoothing Model of Inventories," NBER Working Papers 2360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Miron & Stephen P. Zeldes, . "Seasonality, Cost Shocks and the Production Smoothing Model of Inventories," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 1-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Trivedi, P. K., 1973. "Retail inventory investment behaviour," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 61-80, March.
- Farley, John U. & Hinich, Melvin & McGuire, Timothy W., 1975. "Some comparisons of tests for a shift in the slopes of a multivariate linear time series model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 297-318, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.