Impact of Institutional Credit on Agricultural Output: A Case Study of Pakistan
This paper looks at the role of credit to agricultural sector in Pakistan. It begins with an analysis of credit as indirect input to agricultural sector. It helps the farmers to buy modern and expensive inputs such as tractor, tubewel, seeds, fertilizers etc. The study covers the period from 1974 to 2008. The empirical findings show that there is a significant role of credit in agriculture sector.
Volume (Year): XVIII(2011) (2011)
Issue (Month): 10(563) (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bucharest, Calea Griviţei nr. 21, sector 1, 010702|
Phone: +40 21 3 12 22 48
Fax: +40 21 3 12 97 17
Web page: http://www.asociatiaeconomistilor.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sohail J. Malik & Mohammad Mushtaq & Manzoor Ahmed Gill, 1989. "Differential Access and the Rural Credit Market in Pakistan: Some Recent Evidence," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 28(4), pages 709-716.
- Sarfaraz Khan Qureshi, 1995. "Credit for Rural Poor in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 769-778.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- M. Ghaffar Chaudhry, 1986. "Mechanization and Agricultural Development in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 25(4), pages 431-449.
- Udry, Christopher, 1990. "Credit Markets in Northern Nigeria: Credit as Insurance in a Rural Economy," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 251-269, September.
- Habib A. Zuberi, 1989. "Production Function, Institutional Credit and Agricultural Development in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 43-56.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Wolpin, Kenneth I, 1993.
"Credit Market Constraints, Consumption Smoothing, and the Accumulation of Durable Production Assets in Low-Income Countries: Investment in Bullocks in India,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 223-244, April.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Wolpin, Kenneth I., 1989. "Credit Market Constraints, Consumption Smoothing and the Accumulation of Durable Production Assets in Low-Income Countries: Investments in Bullocks in India," Bulletins 7487, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Shujat Ali, 2004. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Pakistan’s Agriculture: 1960–1996," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 493-513.
- Sohail J. Malik & Mohammad Mushtaq & Manzoor A. Gill, 1991. "The Role of Institutional Credit in the Agricultural Development of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 1039-1048.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Sidhu, R.S. & Vatta, Kamal & Kaur, Arjinder, 2008. "Dynamics of institutional agricultural credit and growth in Punjab: contribution and demand-supply gap," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2008).
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Carter, Michael R., 1989. "The impact of credit on peasant productivity and differentiation in Nicaragua," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 13-36, July.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. "Nobel Lecture: The Economics of Being Poor," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 639-651, August.
- Sohail Jehangir Malik & Hina Nazli, 1999. "Rural Poverty and Credit Use: Evidence from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 699-716.
- Christopher Udry, 1994. "Risk and Insurance in a Rural Credit Market: An Empirical Investigation in Northern Nigeria," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 495-526.
- Amjad, Rashid, 1984. "The management of Pakistan's economy 1947-82," MPRA Paper 35850, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:agr:journl:v:10(563):y:2011:i:10(563):p:99-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marin Dinu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.