Profitability determinants of fitness SMEs: Empirical evidence from Portugal using panel data
Based on a sample of 182 small and medium-sized Portuguese fitness firms, using panel data models, this paper studies the determinants of profitability in Portuguese fitness SMEs. The empirical evidence indicates that: i) size, age, liquidity, long-term debt and government subsidies are determinants stimulating profitability in Portuguese fitness SMEs; ii) risk is a restrictive determinant of profitability in Portuguese fitness SMEs; and iii) growth opportunities, in the form of intangible assets, are neither a stimulating nor restrictive determinant of profitability in Portuguese fitness SMEs. The empirical evidence allows us to make important suggestions for political decision-makers and the owners/managers of small and medium-sized Portuguese fitness firms.
Volume (Year): 15 (2013)
Issue (Month): 34 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://amfiteatrueconomic.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pino G. Audia & Henrich R. Greve, 2006. "Less Likely to Fail: Low Performance, Firm Size, and Factory Expansion in the Shipbuilding Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 83-94, January.
- David Smallbone & Friederike Welter & Artem Voytovich & Igor Egorov, 2008. "Government and entrepreneurship in transition economies: the case of small firms in business services in Ukraine," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 655-670, May.
- Cristinel Vasiliu & Mihaela Dobrea, 2013. "State of Implementation of Supply Chain Management in Companies in Romania," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 15(33), pages 44-55, February.
- Marc Deloof, 2003. "Does Working Capital Management Affect Profitability of Belgian Firms?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3-4), pages 573-588.
- M. Adams & M. Buckle, 2003. "The determinants of corporate financial performance in the Bermuda insurance market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 133-143.
- Teece, David J, 1981. "Internal Organization and Economic Performance: An Empirical Analysis of the Profitability of Principal Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 173-99, December.
- Paulo J. Maçãs Nunes & Zélia M. Serrasqueiro & Tiago N. Sequeira, 2007. "Profitability in Portuguese service industries: a panel data approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 693-707, May.
- Adelina Gschwandtner, 2005.
"Profit persistence in the 'very' long run: evidence from survivors and exiters,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 793-806.
- Adelina Gschwandtner, 2004. "Profit Persistence in the "Very" Long Run: Evidence from Survivors and Exiters," Vienna Economics Papers 0401, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Alessandra Luzzi, 2004.
"Do Liquidity Constraints Matter in Explaining Firm Size and Growth? Some Evidence from the Italian Manufacturing Industry,"
LEM Papers Series
2004/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Alessandra Luzzi, 2006. "Do liquidity constraints matter in explaining firm size and growth? Some evidence from the Italian manufacturing industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 1-39, February.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1998.
"Reputation Acquisition in Debt Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
602, David K. Levine.
- Armenia Androniceanu & Irina-Virginia Drăgulănescu, 2012. "Sustainability of the Organizational Changes in the Context of Global Economic Crisis," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(32), pages 365-379, June.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Gabriela Ţigu & Bogdan Călăreţu, 2013. "Supply Chain Management Performance in Tourism. Continental Hotels Chain Case," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 15(33), pages 103-115, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aes:amfeco:v:15:y:2013:i:34:p:417-430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentin Dumitru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.