The determinants of corporate financial performance in the Bermuda insurance market
Drawing a framework from the organizational economics literature this study examines the determinants of corporate (i.e. underwriting and investment related) financial performance in the Bermuda insurance market. Using panel data for 1993-1997, it was found that, as expected, highly leveraged, lowly liquid companies and reinsurers have better operational performance than lowly leveraged, highly liquid companies and direct insurers. Contrary to what was hypothesized, performance was positively related to underwriting risk. However, the size of companies and the scope of their activities were not found to be important explanatory factors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Jensen, M.C. & Murphy, K.J., 1988.
"Performance Pay And Top Management Incentives,"
88-04, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szego, 1995.
"The role of capital in financial institutions,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1989.
"Testing for Consistency using Artificial Regressions,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 363-384, December.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1987. "Testing for Consistency using Artificial Regressions," Working Papers 687, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gardner, Lisa A. & Grace, Martin F., 1993. "X-Efficiency in the US life insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 497-510, April.
- Joseph, Nathan Lael & Hewins, Robin David, 1997. "The Motives for Corporate Hedging among UK Multinationals," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 151-71, April.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Andrew C. Worthington†, 1998. "Technical Efficiency and Technological Change in Australian Building Societies, 1993/94-1996/97‡," Banking & Finance Conference Papers 9906, Centre for Australian Financial Institutions.
- Berger, Allen N & Cummins, J David & Weiss, Mary A, 1997.
"The Coexistence of Multiple Distribution Systems for Financial Services: The Case of Property-Liability Insurance,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(4), pages 515-46, October.
- Allen N. Berger & J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1995. "The coexistence of multiple distribution systems for financial services: the case of property-liability insurance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1995. "The Coexistence of Multiple Distributions Systems for Financial Services: The Case of Property-Liability Insurance," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- J. David Cummins & Sharon Tennyson & Mary A. Weiss, 1998.
"Consolidation and Efficiency in the U.S. Life Insurance Industry,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
98-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Cummins, J. David & Tennyson, Sharon & Weiss, Mary A., 1999. "Consolidation and efficiency in the US life insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 325-357, February.
- J. David Cummins & Sharon Tennyson & Mary A. Weiss, 1998. "Consolidation and efficiency in the U.S. life insurance industry," Working Papers 98-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Philip Hardwick, 1997. "Measuring cost inefficiency in the UK life insurance industry," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 37-44.
- Pi, Lynn & Timme, Stephen G., 1993. "Corporate control and bank efficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 515-530, April.
- Lamm-Tennant, Joan & Starks, Laura T, 1993. "Stock versus Mutual Ownership Structures: The Risk Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Petroni, Kathy Ruby, 1992. "Optimistic reporting in the property- casualty insurance industry," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 485-508, December.
- Jim Bannister, 1999. "The Ubiquitous Role of Risk Management in the Modern Economy," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 376-382, July.
- Winter Ralph A., 1994. "The Dynamics of Competitive Insurance Markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 379-415, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:13:y:2003:i:2:p:133-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.