Competitive dynamics across industries: An analysis of inter-industry competition in German passenger transportation
AbstractWhereas analyses of competitive dynamics have hitherto focused on analysing the effects of intra-industry interaction on firm performance, we explore and analyse competition between actors that stem from different industries. This inter-industry focus is novel and interesting, as it allows the exploration of competitive parameters between rivals that differ substantially in their resource endowments, organisational structures, practices and cognitive schemes. The inter-industry focus is also important, since many industries are converging and thus instil competitive interaction between actors that were traditionally separated by industry boundaries. The empirical context for this study is the competitive interaction between airlines and railways in Germany. Based on expert interviews and grounded theory analysis, we shed light onto hitherto neglected facets of awareness, motivation and capability as drivers of competitive actions. We thereby contribute to both competitive dynamics as well as transport strategy literatures. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cologne, Department of Business Policy and Logistics in its series Working Paper Series with number 109.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
strategy; competitive dynamics; air transport; railway;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
- M19 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-09-03 (Business Economics)
- NEP-IND-2012-09-03 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-TRE-2012-09-03 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-09-03 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dobruszkes, Frédéric, 2011. "High-speed rail and air transport competition in Western Europe: A supply-oriented perspective," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 870-879, November.
- Smith, Ken G. & Grimm, Curtis M. & Chen, Ming-Jer & Gannon, Martin J., 1989. "Predictors of response time to competitive strategic actions: Preliminary theory and evidence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 245-258, May.
- Mark Bergen & Margaret A. Peteraf, 2002. "Competitor identification and competitor analysis: a broad-based managerial approach," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4-5), pages 157-169.
- Guido Friebel & Marko Niffka, 2009. "The Functioning of Inter-modal Competition in the Transportation Market: Evidence from the Entry of Low-cost Airlines in Germany," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 4.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2006. "An analysis of European low-cost airlines and their networks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/95835, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ming-Jer Chen & Ken G. Smith & Curtis M. Grimm, 1992. "Action Characteristics as Predictors of Competitive Responses," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(3), pages 439-455, March.
- Utterback, James M. & Suarez, Fernando F., 1993. "Innovation, competition, and industry structure," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2011. "High-speed rail and air transport competition in Western Europe: A supply-oriented perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/96164, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.