Institutional Capital: Competitive Advantage In Light Of The N Ew Institutionalism In Organization Theory
AbstractNeoinstitutional organization theory contains an important message for strategic management: A firm’s existence and competitive advantage is strongly affected by its institutional environment. However, the strategic management literature disregards the role of the institutional environment when modeling competitive advantage. This paper develops an integrative model of competitive advantage that draws on prevailing concepts in strategic management and neoinstitutional theory. The model distinguishes three types of institutional capital: cognitive, normative, and regulative capital. The implications for generating and managing institutional capital are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LMU Munich School of Management in its journal Schmalenbach Business Review.
Volume (Year): 55 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Competitive Advantage; Institutional Capital; Neoinstitutional Organization Theory; Strategic Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kshetri, Nir & Ajami, Riad, 2008. "Institutional reforms in the Gulf Cooperation Council economies: A conceptual framework," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 300-318, September.
- Albers, Sascha & Heuermann, Caroline, 2012. "Competitive dynamics across industries: An analysis of inter-industry competition in German passenger transportation," Working Paper Series 109, University of Cologne, Department of Business Policy and Logistics.
- Dieter Sadowski & Oliver Ludewig, 2003. "Organisational Capital: The Power of an Economic Metaphor: Organisational Capital in German Establishments," IAAEG Discussion Papers until 2011 200302, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
- Kshetri, Nir & Dholakia, Nikhilesh, 2009. "Professional and trade associations in a nascent and formative sector of a developing economy: A case study of the NASSCOM effect on the Indian offshoring industry," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 225-239, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask sbr to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.