The Meiselman forward interest rate revision regression as an Affine Term Structure Model
AbstractWe adapt the Meiselman (1962) OLS forward rate revision framework to obtain the discrete time analogue of the Heath, Jarrow and Morton (1992) specification and use it for estimating and testing term structure models. Our framework is based upon the Wold representation of the factor dynamics and combines the flexibility of the â€˜no arbitrageâ€™ approach used by practitioners for pricing with the time series domain econometrics used in the â€˜equilibrium approachâ€™ by academic researchers. It allows us to estimate the no-arbitrage term structure under the risk-neutral measure without adopting any specific model of the factor dynamics. Using three different datasets we find that our discrete time Heath et al (1992) no-arbitrage model is not rejected against the unrestricted OLS model of Meiselman (1962). We then develop a dynamic term structure model by specifying a model of a risk premium to link the risk neutral dynamics of the cross section to the real-world factor dynamics. We analyse several different models of the dynamics from the ARFIMA class and find that the more flexible models allowing for long memory outperform short memory models and are not rejected against the Heath et al and Meiselman specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of York in its series Discussion Papers with number 12/27.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
term structure; Meiselman regression; forward rate revision; Wold representation; long memory.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1990.
"An Anlysis Of The Real Interest Rate Under Regime Shifts,"
353, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Garcia, Rene & Perron, Pierre, 1996. "An Analysis of the Real Interest Rate under Regime Shifts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 111-25, February.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1994. "An Analysis of the Real Interest rate Under Regime Shifts," Cahiers de recherche 9428, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- René Garcia & Pierre Perron, 1995. "An Analysis of the Real Interest Rate Under Regime Shifts," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-05, CIRANO.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1994. "An Analysis of the Real Interest rate Under Regime Shifts," Cahiers de recherche 9428, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Sydeny C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2005.
"Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia,"
NBER Working Papers
11703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164.
- Comte, F. & Renault, E., 1996. "Long memory continuous time models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 101-149, July.
- Shea, Gary S, 1991. "Uncertainty and Implied Variance Bounds in Long-Memory Models of the Interest Rate Term Structure," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 287-312.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1997. "LIBOR and swap market models and measures (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 293-330.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley Zin, 1996.
"Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
96-8, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Backus, David & Foresi, Silverio & Zin, Stanley, 1998. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Backus, D.K. & Foresi, S. & Zin, S.E., 1994. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Papers 95-02, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- David K. Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley E. Zin, 1994. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Working Papers 94-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley Zin, 1996. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," NBER Working Papers 5638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 1997. "Arbitrage with Fractional Brownian Motion," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 95-105.
- Tkacz Greg, 2001.
"Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2000. "Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator," Working Papers 00-5, Bank of Canada.
- Fabrizio Iacone, 2009. "A Semiparametric Analysis of the Term Structure of the US Interest Rates," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(4), pages 475-490, 08.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Jacobs, Kris, 1996. "A simple long-memory equilibrium interest rate model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 317-321, December.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1990. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Discrete Time Approximation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 419-440, December.
- Jefferson Duarte, 2004. "Evaluating an Alternative Risk Preference in Affine Term Structure Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 379-404.
- Joann Jasiak & Christian Gourieroux, 2006. "Autoregressive gamma processes," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 129-152.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.