Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing
AbstractMathematical models of bond pricing are used by both academics and Wall Street practitioners, with practitioners introducing time-dependent parameters to fit 'arbitrage-free' models to selected asset prices. The authors show, in a simple one-factor setting, that the ability of such models to reproduce a subset of security prices need not extend to state-contingent claims more generally. They argue that the additional parameters of arbitrage-free models should be complemented by close attention to fundamentals, which might include mean reversion, multiple factors, stochastic volatility, and/or nonnormal interest-rate distributions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Backus, D.K. & Foresi, S. & Zin, S.E., 1994. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Papers 95-02, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley Zin, 1996. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-8, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- David K. Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley E. Zin, 1994. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Working Papers 94-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley Zin, 1996. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," NBER Working Papers 5638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, T.F. & LeRoy, S.F., 1991. "Pricing Interest-Sensitive Claims when Interest Rates Have Stationary Components," Papers 91-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1979. "A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 133-155, July.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-29, December.
- Stambaugh, Robert F., 1988. "The information in forward rates : Implications for models of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 41-70, May.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Mark Rubinstein, 1976. "The Valuation of Uncertain Income Streams and the Pricing of Options," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 407-425, Autumn.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1993. "One-Factor Interest-Rate Models and the Valuation of Interest-Rate Derivative Securities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 235-254, June.
- Orazio Di Miscia, 2005. "Estimation of continuous-time interest rate models: a nonparametric approach," Finance 0504015, EconWPA.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth Singleton, 2003. "Term Structure Dynamics in Theory and Reality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 631-678, July.
- Teresa Corzo Santamaría & Javier Gómez Biscarri, 2005.
"Nonparametric estimation of convergence of interest rates: Effects on bond pricing,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 167-190, 09.
- Teresa Corzo Santamaría & Javier Gómez Biscarri, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of Convergence of Interest Rates: Effects on Bond Pricing," Faculty Working Papers 03/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Eli M. Remolona & Joseph Dziwura & Irene Pedraza, 1995. "The short end of the forward convergence curve and asymmetric cat's tail convergence," Research Paper 9523, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Xibin Zhang & Robert D. Brooks & Maxwell L. King, 2007.
"A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel regression with an application to state-price density estimation,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
11/07, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Zhang, Xibin & Brooks, Robert D. & King, Maxwell L., 2009. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel regression with an application to state-price density estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 21-32, November.
- David K. Backus & Silverio Foresi & Chris Telmer, .
"Discrete time models of bond pricing,"
GSIA Working Papers
251, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2004.
"A Semiparametric Single-Factor Model of the Term Structure,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp501, Financial Markets Group.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2004. "A semiparametric single-factor model of the term structure," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24741, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jonathan Berk & Richard C. Green & Vasant Naik, 1998.
"Optimal Investment, Growth Options, and Security Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
6627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green & Vasant Naik, 1999. "Optimal Investment, Growth Options, and Security Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1553-1607, October.
- Jonathan Berk & Richard C. Green & Vasant Naik, . "Optimal Investment, Growth Options and Security Returns," GSIA Working Papers 64, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Adam Golinski & Peter Spencer, 2012. "The Meiselman forward interest rate revision regression as an Affine Term Structure Model," Discussion Papers 12/27, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Orazio Di Miscia, 2005. "Term structure of interest models: concept and estimation problem in a continuous-time setting," Finance 0504017, EconWPA.
- Michael W. Brandt & Amir Yaron, 2003. "Time-Consistent No-Arbitrage Models of the Term Structure," NBER Working Papers 9458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leo Krippner, 2005. "An Intertemporally-Consistent and Arbitrage-Free Version of the Nelson and Siegel Class of Yield Curve Models," Working Papers in Economics 05/01, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Longstaff, Francis A. & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 2001. "Throwing away a billion dollars: the cost of suboptimal exercise strategies in the swaptions market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 39-66, October.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Kris Jacobs, 2001. "Short and Long Memory in Equilibrium Interest Rate Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-22, CIRANO.
- Das, Sanjiv R., 2002. "The surprise element: jumps in interest rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 27-65, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.