Cournot-Walras Equilibrium as a Subgame Perfect Equilibrium
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate the problem of the strategic foundation of the Cournot-Walras equilibrium approach. To this end, we respecify a'la Cournot-Walras the mixed version of a model of simultaneous, noncooperative exchange, originally proposed by Lloyd S.Shapley. We show, through an example, that the set of the Cournot-Walras equilibrium allocations of this respecification does not coincide with the set of the Cournot-Nash equilibrium allocations of the mixed version of the original Shapley's model. As the nonequivalence, in a one-stage setting, can be explained by the intrinsic two-stage nature of the Cournot-Walras equilibrium concept, we are led to consider a further reformulation of the Shapley's model as a two-stage game, where the atoms move in the first stage and the atomless sector moves in the second stage. Our main result shows that the set of the Cournot-Walras equilibrium allocations coincides with a specific set of subgame perfect equilibrium allocations of this two-stage game, which we call the set of the Pseudo-Markov perfect equilibrium allocations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Warwick, Department of Economics in its series The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) with number 837.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2008-01-26 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2008-01-26 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Mayer-Foulkes, 2011. "Vulnerable Markets," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_040, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2011.
"Noncooperative oligopoly in markets with a continuum of traders,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 38-45, May.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2008. "Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 866, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dickson Alex, 2013. "Cobb-Douglas preferences in bilateral oligopoly," Working Papers 1306, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Ludovic JULIEN, 2009. "Consistent conjectural variations equilibria in strategic multilateral exchange," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(1), pages 465-473.
- Alex Dickson & Roger Hartley, 2009.
"Bilateral oligopoly and quantity competition,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0911, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Ludovic A. Julien & Fabrice Tricou, 2010.
"Oligopoly Equilibria “à la Stackelberg” in Pure Exchange Economies,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2010023, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ludovic A. Julien & Fabrice Tricou, 2010. "Oligopoly Equilibria “à la Stackelberg” in Pure Exchange Economies," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 76(2), pages 175-194.
- Francesca Busetto & Giulio Codognato & Sayantan Ghosal, . "Noncooperative oligopoly in markets with a continuum of traders: a limit theorem a la Cournot," Working Papers 2014_01, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Julien, Ludovic A., 2013. "On Stackelberg competition in strategic multilateral exchange," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 59-75.
- Julien, Ludovic A., 2009. "Conjectural variations, symmetric equilibria and economic policy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1115-1120, September.
- Ludovic A. JULIEN, 2009.
"Unemployment equilibrium and economic policy in mixed markets,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2009030, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Julien, Ludovic A., 2011. "Unemployment equilibrium and economic policy in mixed markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1931-1940, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.