An issue with own-rates: Keynes borrows from Sraffa , Sraffa criticises Keynes, and present-day commentators get hold of the wrong end of the stick
AbstractScholars who in recent years have studied the Sraffa papers held in the Wren Library of Trinity College, Cambridge, have concluded from SraffaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s critical (but unpublished) observations on Chapter 17 of KeynesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s General Theory that he rejected KeynesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s central proposition that the rate of interest on money may come to Ã¢â‚¬Ëœrule the roostÃ¢â‚¬â„¢, thus dragging the economy into recession. While Sraffa does indeed express dissatisfaction with Chapter 17, the commentators have, we believe, misunderstood his concern: we suggest that he was unhappy with the Ã¢â‚¬Ëœown-ratesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ terminology employed by Keynes rather than with the substance of the theory developed in Chapter 17.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1319.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Sir William Duncan Building, 130 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0GE
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 3842
Fax: +44 (0)141 548 4445
Web page: http://www.strath.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Chapter 17 of KeynesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s General Theory; commodity-rates; own-rates of interest;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B22 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Macroeconomics
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2013-10-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2013-10-02 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2013-10-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PKE-2013-10-02 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirsty Hall).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.