A comparison between the core and the monopoly solutions in a mixed exchange economy
AbstractUsing a mixed market model for analyzing imperfectly competitive economies, we maximize the oligopolists' Welfare Function, given individual rationality and feasibility constraints. We prove that solutions belong to the core for a large class of economies. This class includes, in particular, every monopoly having a single type of small traders. Note that all such solutions yield the large trader, utility-wise, strictly more than at any monopoly solution, where the monopolist plays strategically, and the ocean of small traders act as being as price-takers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 10 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: March 4, 1996; revised version July 7, 1996
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesca Busetto & Giulio Codognato & Sayantan Ghosal, 2012.
"Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders: A Limit Theorem,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2012-49, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2012. "Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders: A Limit Theorem," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 994, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2011.
"Noncooperative oligopoly in markets with a continuum of traders,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 38-45, May.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2008. "Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 866, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.