An application of Ramsey model in transition economy: a Russian case study
AbstractThis case study uses the Ramsey model to analyze whether the current electricity prices charged by the natural monopoly Novosibirskenergo in a major industrial region of the Russian Federation are socially optimal. Our estimates of demand elasticities for two major groups of consumers, namely households and industrial users, show that prices are not socially optimal. A decrease in price for industrial users and an increase in price for households would bring the prices closer to socially optimal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series General Economics and Teaching with number 0307003.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 03 Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP/PostScript/; pages: 29
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Natural monopolies; Transition economy; Ramsey model.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- L9 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-TRA-2003-07-13 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Dobbs, Ian M, 1996. "A Robust Methodology for Ramsey Pricing with an Application to UK Postal Services," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 229-47, September.
- Janusz Ordover & Russell Pittman & Paul Clyde, 2001.
"Competition Policy for Natural Monopolies in a Developing Market Economy,"
- Janusz A. Ordover & Russell W. Pittman & Paul Clyde, 1994. "Competition policy for natural monopolies in a developing market economy 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 317-343, 09.
- Scott, Frank A, Jr, 1986. "Assessing USA Postal Ratemaking: An Application of Ramsey Prices," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 279-90, March.
- Sergei Guriev & Dmitry Kvassov, 2000. "Barter for price discrimination? A theory and evidence from Russia," Working Papers w0007, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- David Kerr, 1999. "The Chinese and Russian Energy Sectors: Comparative Change and Potential Interaction," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 337-372.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.