Barter for price discrimination? A theory and evidence from Russia
AbstractUnprecedented demonetization of Russia’s transition economy has been explained by tight monetary policy, tax evasion and poor …nancial intermediation. We show that market power may also be important. We build a model of imperfect competition in which …rms use barter for price discrimination. The model predicts a positive relationship between concentration of market power and share of barter in sales. The model has multiple equilibria which may explain persistence of barter in Russia but not in other economies. Using a unique dataset on barter transactions in Russia, we show that the …rm-level evidence is consistent with the model’s predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR) in its series Working Papers with number w0007.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 117418 Russia, Moscow, Nakhimovsky pr., 47, office 720
Phone: +7 (495) 105 50 02
Fax: +7 (495) 105 50 03
Web page: http://www.cefir.ru
More information through EDIRC
barter; price discrimination; Cournot oligopoly;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- P42 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Productive Enterprises; Factor and Product Markets; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guriev, Sergei & Kvassov, Dmitry, 2000.
"Barter For Price Discrimination?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2449, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1999.
"Институциональные Ловушки И Экономические Реформы
[Institutional Traps and Economic Reforms]," MPRA Paper 27257, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caves, Richard E. & Marin, Dalia, 1992.
"Countertrade Transactions: Theory and Evidence,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
3111, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Caves, R.E. & Marin, D., 1992. "Countertrade Transactions: Theory and Evidence," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1599, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Brana, S. & Maurel, M., 1999.
"Barter in Russia : Liquidity Shortage Versus Lack of Restructuring,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
1999.98, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Sophie Brana & Mathilde Maurel, 1999. "Barter in Russia: Liquidity Shortage versus Lack of Restructuring," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 271, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Brana, Sophie & Maurel, Mathilde, 1999. "Barter in Russia: Liquidity Shortage Versus Lack of Restructuring," CEPR Discussion Papers 2258, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel Kaufman & Dalia Marin, 1998. "Disorganization, financial squeeze, barter," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 165, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Martimort, David, 1993.
"Competition under Nonlinear Pricing,"
IDEI Working Papers
29, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1998. "Payments in Kind," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 244, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 10 Feb 2000.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817.
- Ellingsen, Tore & Stole, Lars A., 1996. "Mandated countertrade as a strategic commitment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 67-84, February.
- Babu Nahata & Alexei Izyumov & Vladimir Busygin & Anna Mishura, 2003. "An application of Ramsey model in transition economy: a Russian case study," General Economics and Teaching 0307003, EconWPA.
- Vlad Ivanenko, 2004. "Access to liquidity and non-monetary trade in Russia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 21-38.
- Vlad Ivanenko & Dmitry Mikheyev, 2002. "The Role of Non-monetary Trade in Russian Transition," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 405-419.
- Dolud, Olena, 2004. "Nichtmonetäre Transaktionen in der ukrainischen Landwirtschaft: Determinanten, Spezifika und Folgen," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 24, number 93080, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia Babich).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.