Commodity Futures Contract Viability: A Multidisciplinary Approach
AbstractWe propose a development process of commodity futures contracts in which the decisions and wishes of potential customers are investigated simultaneously with the necessary technical properties that need to be met for trading to take place. Within this framework the relationship between trading volume and hedging effectiveness is examined taking both basis risk and market depth risk into account, and the relationship between owner-manager's characteristics and the probability of using futures is examined, taking latent variables and the heterogeneity of owner-managers into account. The relationships are tested on a set of data gathered in a stratified sample of 440 owner-managers by means of computer-assisted personal interviews and on transaction-specific futures data. Structural equation models and multiple regression models are used to validate the relationships. The hedging effectiveness and the variables that play a role in the owner-manager's use of futures are related to the tools of the exchange.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 9905002.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 01 May 1999
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; pages: 40 ; figures: included. Office for Futures and Options Research (OFOR) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Working Paper 99-02. For a complete list of OFOR working papers see http://w3.ag.uiuc.edu/ACE/ofor
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Futures Contracts Design; Multidisciplinarity; Hedging Effectiveness; Choice Behavior; Measurement Error; Segments; Futures Exchange Toolbox;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G - Financial Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Hershey & Paul J. H. Schoemaker, 1985. "Probability Versus Certainty Equivalence Methods in Utility Measurement: Are they Equivalent?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(10), pages 1213-1231, October.
- Holthausen, Duncan M, 1979. "Hedging and the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 989-95, December.
- Joost M. E. Pennings & W. Erno Kuiper & Frenkel ter Hofstede & Matthew T. G. Meulenberg, 1998. "The price path due to order imbalances: evidence from the Amsterdam Agricultural Futures Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 4(1), pages 47-64.
- Tashjian, Elizabeth, 1995. "Optimal futures contract design," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 153-162.
- Paroush, Jacob & Wolf, Avner, 1992. "The Derived Demand with Hedging Cost Uncertainty in the Futures Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 831-44, July.
- Lehmann, Bruce N & Modest, David M, 1994. " Trading and Liquidity on the Tokyo Stock Exchange: A Bird's Eye View," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 951-84, July.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Elke U. Weber & Richard A. Milliman, 1997. "Perceived Risk Attitudes: Relating Risk Perception to Risky Choice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 123-144, February.
- Bruce N. Lehmann and David M. Modest., 1994. "Trading and Liquidity on the Tokyo Stock Exchange: A Bird's Eye View," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-234, University of California at Berkeley.
- John C. Hershey & Howard C. Kunreuther & Paul J. H. Schoemaker, 1982. "Sources of Bias in Assessment Procedures for Utility Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(8), pages 936-954, August.
- David Carter & Joseph Sinkey, 1998. "The Use of Interest Rate Derivatives by End-users: The Case of Large Community Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 17-34, July.
- Eliashberg, Jehoshua. & Hauser, John R., 1983. "A measurement error approach for modeling consumer risk preference," Working papers 1439-83., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jennifer Lynch Koski & Jeffrey Pontiff, 1999.
"How Are Derivatives Used? Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 791-816, 04.
- Jennifer Koski & Jeffrey Pontiff, 1996. "How Are Derivatives Used? Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jehoshua Eliashberg & John R. Hauser, 1985. "A Measurement Error Approach for Modeling Consumer Risk Preference," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Yiu-Fai Yung, 1997. "Finite mixtures in confirmatory factor-analysis models," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 62(3), pages 297-330, September.
- Larry D. Makus & Biing-Hwan Lin & John Carlson & Rose Krebill-Prather, 1990. "Factors influencing farm level use of futures and options in commodity marketing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 621-631.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Thaler, Richard H, 1997. "Irving Fisher: Modern Behavioral Economist," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 439-41, May.
- Joost M. E. Pennings & Matthew T. G. Meulenberg, 1997. "The hedging performance in new agricultural futures markets: A note," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 295-300.
- Christine Ennew & Wyn Morgan & Tony Rayner, 1992. "Role of attitudes in the decision to use futures markets: The case of the London potato futures market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 561-573.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Sik-Yum Lee & S. Wang, 1996. "Sensitivity analysis of structural equation models," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 61(1), pages 93-108, March.
- Howard, Charles T. & D'Antonio, Louis J., 1984. "A Risk-Return Measure of Hedging Effectiveness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 101-112, March.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1980. " Hedging and Joint Production: Theory and Illustrations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 487-98, May.
- Roger J. Bowden, 1995. "Production Organisation and Risk Control When Market Instruments Are Available," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 1073-1082, June.
- Rolfo, Jacques, 1980. "Optimal Hedging under Price and Quantity Uncertainty: The Case of a Cocoa Producer," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 100-116, February.
- Mian, Shehzad L., 1996. "Evidence on Corporate Hedging Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 419-439, September.
- Kamel Jedidi & Harsharanjeet S. Jagpal & Wayne S. DeSarbo, 1997. "Finite-Mixture Structural Equation Models for Response-Based Segmentation and Unobserved Heterogeneity," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 39-59.
- Johnston, Elizabeth Tashjian & McConnell, John J, 1989. "Requiem for a Market: An Analysis of the Rise and Fall of a Financial Futures Contract," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 1-23.
- Ale Smidts, 1997. "The Relationship Between Risk Attitude and Strength of Preference: A Test of Intrinsic Risk Attitude," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 357-370, March.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
- Catherine Schrand & Haluk Unal, 1998. "Hedging and Coordinated Risk Management: Evidence from Thrift Conversions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 979-1013, 06.
- Cuny, Charles J, 1993. "The Role of Liquidity in Futures Market Innovations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 57-78.
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Emerging Ip Markets: The Tokyo Grain Exchange Non-Gmo Soybean Contract," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19058, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Emerging Ip Markets: The Tokyo Grain Exchange Non-Gmo Soybean Contract," Working Papers 26038, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Kennya B. Siqueira & Carlos Arthur B. da Silva & Danilo R.D. Aguiar, 2008. "Viability of introducing milk futures contracts in Brazil: a multiple criteria decision analysis," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 491-509.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.