The hedging performance in new agricultural futures markets: A note
AbstractAgribusiness companies and farmers must cope with the risk of price changes when buying or selling agricultural commodities. Hedging price risk with agricultural commodity futures offers a way of minimizing this risk. Information is needed on the hedging effectiveness of these futures. Because many new agricultural futures markets, especially those in Europe, are thin markets, hedgers face liquidity risks which have to be taken into account when evaluating hedging effectiveness. © 1997 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 13 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis M. Conley, 1994. "Hedging ratios and effectiveness for diesel fuel and gasoline the northern plains," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 305-317.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Franckle, Charles T, 1980. " The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1273-79, December.
- Thompson, Sarahelen R. & Eales, James S. & Seibold, David, 1993. "Comparison Of Liquidity Costs Between The Kansas City And Chicago Wheat Futures Contracts," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1999. "Commodity Futures Contract Viability: A Multidisciplinary Approach," Finance 9905002, EconWPA.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Manfredo, Mark R., 2004. "Comparing Hedging Effectiveness: An Application of the Encompassing Principle," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), April.
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Emerging Ip Markets: The Tokyo Grain Exchange Non-Gmo Soybean Contract," Working Papers 26038, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Quintino, Derick David & David, Sergio Adriani, 2013. "Quantitative analysis of feasibility of hydrous ethanol futures contracts in Brazil," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 927-935.
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Emerging Ip Markets: The Tokyo Grain Exchange Non-Gmo Soybean Contract," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19058, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Greer, Tracy D., 2002. "Hedging Spot Corn: An Examination Of The Minneapolis Grain Exchange'S Cash Settled Corn Contract," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19064, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Manfredo, Mark R. & Sanders, Dwight R., 2003. "Minimum Variance Hedging And The Encompassing Principle: Assessing The Effectiveness Of Futures Hedges," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22247, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kuwornu, John K.M. & Kuiper, W. Erno & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Meulenberg, Matthew T.G., 2006. "Risk Management Using Futures Contracts: The Impact of Spot Market Contracts and Production Horizons on the Optimal Hedge Ratio," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7755, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.