Classical Estimation of Multivariate Markov-Switching Models using MSVARlib
AbstractThis paper introduces an upgraded version of MSVARlib, a Gauss and Ox- Gauss compliant library, focusing on Multivariate Markov Switching Regressions in their most general specification. This new set of procedures allows to estimate, through classical optimization methods, models belonging to the MSI(M)(AH)-VARX ``intercept regime dependent'' family. This research enhances the first package MSVARlib 1.1, which has been deeply inspired by the works of Hamilton and Krolzig. Not to mention the extension to a generalized multivariate regression framework, it notably augments the range of models with a possibly unlimited finite number of Markov states, offers automatic or manual intialization procedures and adds new statistical tests. The first part of this article provides the basic theoretical grounds of the related Markov-switching models. Following sections give some illustrations of the programs through univariate and multivariate examples. One is based on a non-linear reading of the american unemployment rate. A second study is focused on coincident stochastic models of US recessions and slowdowns. The paper concludes on possible extensions and new applications. Detailed guidelines in appendices and tutorial programs are provided to help the reader handling the Gauss package and the joined replication files.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0508017.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 19 Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 27. Gauss programs, compatible with 3.2 Versions or upper. A complete Gauss library to estimate MSVAR models or Markov switching regressions. Codes, data and programs available at http://bellone.ensae.net
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Multivariate Markov-Switching Regressions; Hidden markov Models; Non linear regressions; Open source Gauss library; Business cycle; EM algorithm; Kittagawa-Hamilton Filtering; Recession Detection Models; MSVAR; MS-VAR; Hamilton's Model; Krolzig MSVAR library; Filtered probabilities; Smoothed probabilities.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2005-11-09 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2005-11-09 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anas, Jacques & Ferrara, Laurent, 2002.
"Un indicateur d'entrée et sortie de récession: application aux Etats-Unis
[A start-end recession index: Application for United-States]," MPRA Paper 4043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Urbain,Jean-Pierre & Laurent,Sébastien, 2004.
"Bridging the Gap Between Ox and Gauss using OxGauss,"
007, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jean-Pierre Urbain & Sébastien Laurent, 2005. "Bridging the gap between Ox and Gauss using OxGauss," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 131-139.
- Urbain,Jean-Pierre & Laurent,Sébastien, 2004. "Bridging the Gap Between Ox and Gauss using OxGauss," Research Memorandum 007, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- LAURENT, Sébastien & URBAIN, Jean-Pierre, 2004. "Bridging the gap between Ox and Gauss using OxGauss," CORE Discussion Papers 2004012, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- James D. Hamilton, 2005.
"What's real about the business cycle?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 435-452.
- Sichel, Daniel E, 1994.
"Inventories and the Three Phases of the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 269-77, July.
- Daniel E. Sichel, 1992. "Inventories and the three phases of the business cycle," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 128, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hamilton, James D., 1996. "Specification testing in Markov-switching time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 127-157, January.
- Eva Andersson & David Bock & Marianne Frisén, 2004. "Detection of Turning Points in Business Cycles," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2004(1), pages 93-108.
- Ferrara, Laurent, 2003. "A three-regime real-time indicator for the US economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 373-378, December.
- Philip Rothman, 1998.
"Forecasting Asymmetric Unemployment Rates,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 164-168, February.
- Benoit Bellone & David Saint-Martin, 2004. "Detecting Turning Points with Many Predictors through Hidden Markov Models," Econometrics 0407001, EconWPA.
- Marine Carrasco & Liang Hu, 2004.
"Optimal test for Markov switching,"
2004 Meeting Papers
374, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Marine Carrasco & Liang Hu, 2004. "Optimal test for Markov switching," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 396, Econometric Society.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Albert, James H & Chib, Siddhartha, 1993. "Bayes Inference via Gibbs Sampling of Autoregressive Time Series Subject to Markov Mean and Variance Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Benoit Bellone, 2004. "MSVARlib: a new Gauss library to estimate multivariate Hidden Markov Models," Econometrics 0406004, EconWPA.
- Robert Chambers & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2012.
"Estimating Population Dynamics without Population Data,"
1210, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 27 Apr 2013.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2013. "Estimating population dynamics without population data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 510-522.
- Klaus Abberger & Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2008. "Markov-Switching und ifo Geschäftsklima," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 61(10), pages 25-30, 05.
- Bušs, Ginters, 2010.
"Forecasts with single-equation Markov-switching model: an application to the gross domestic product of Latvia,"
20688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ginters BUSS, 2010. "Forecasts With Single - Equation Markov - Switching Model: An Application To The Gross Domestic Product Of Latvia," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 5(2(12)/Sum), pages 48-58.
- Klaus Abberger & Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2010.
"Markov-Switching and the Ifo Business Climate: the Ifo Business Cycle Traffic Lights,"
OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis,
OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2010(2), pages 1-13.
- Klaus Abberger & Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2010. "Markov-Switching and the Ifo Business Climate: The Ifo Business Cycle Traffic Lights," CESifo Working Paper Series 2936, CESifo Group Munich.
- Adanero-Donderis , M. & Darné, O. & Ferrara, L., 2007. "Deux indicateurs probabilistes de retournement cyclique pour l’économie française," Working papers 187, Banque de France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.