MSVARlib: a new Gauss library to estimate multivariate Hidden Markov Models
AbstractThis paper introduces a new open source Gauss library to estimate Multivariate Hidden Markov Models (HMM) in their simpler specification. These new programs are based upon the works of Hamilton (1994) and Krolzig (1998) and allow assessment of models with 2, 3 or 4 states through classical optimization of the maximum likelihood method. The modular architecture of the program is presented in a first part. It has been designed to allow new improvements (generalized non linear MS models or enhancement to a Bayesian framework). A second part, gives some illustration through a three state model based on the American Industrial production and a new stochastic coincident indicator of a recession for the US economy, following the papers of Ferrara (2003), Bellone and Saint-Martin (2003) and Bellone (2004).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0406004.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 25 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 21
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2004-06-27 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-06-27 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferrara, Laurent, 2003. "A three-regime real-time indicator for the US economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 373-378, December.
- Anas, Jacques & Ferrara, Laurent, 2002.
"Un indicateur d'entrée et sortie de récession: application aux Etats-Unis
[A start-end recession index: Application for United-States]," MPRA Paper 4043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benoit Bellone, 2004. "Une lecture probabiliste du cycle d’affaires américain," Econometrics 0407002, EconWPA, revised 28 Mar 2005.
- Eva Andersson & David Bock & Marianne Frisén, 2004. "Detection of Turning Points in Business Cycles," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2004(1), pages 93-108.
- Albert, James H & Chib, Siddhartha, 1993. "Bayes Inference via Gibbs Sampling of Autoregressive Time Series Subject to Markov Mean and Variance Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Benoit Bellone & David Saint-Martin, 2004. "Detecting Turning Points with Many Predictors through Hidden Markov Models," Econometrics 0407001, EconWPA.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Marcelle Chauvet & Jeremy Piger, 2002.
"Identifying business cycle turning points in real time,"
2002-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Marcelle Chauvet & Jeremy M. Piger, 2003. "Identifying business cycle turning points in real time," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 47-61.
- Nicolas Chopin, 2001. "Sequential Inference and State Number Determination for Discrete State-Space Models through Particle Filtering," Working Papers 2001-34, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Benoît Bellone & Erwan Gautier & Sébastien Le Coent, 2006.
"Les marchés financiers anticipent-ils les retournements conjoncturels ?,"
Économie et Prévision,
Programme National Persée, vol. 172(1), pages 83-99.
- Bellone, B. & Gautier, E. & Le Coent, S., 2005. "Les marchés financiers anticipent-ils les retournements conjoncturels?," Working papers 128, Banque de France.
- Benoit Bellone, 2005. "Classical Estimation of Multivariate Markov-Switching Models using MSVARlib," Econometrics 0508017, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.