Knowledge Spillover Agents and Regional Development
AbstractIt is widely recognised that knowledge and highly skilled individuals as âcarriersâ of knowledge (i.e. knowledge spillover agents) play a key role in impelling the development and growth of cities and regions. In this paper we discuss the relation between the mobility of talent and knowledge flows. In this context, several issues are examined, including the role of highly skilled labour for regional development, the features that characterise knowledge spillovers through labour mobility, the key factors for attracting and retaining talent as well as the rise of âbrain gainâ policies. Although the paper deals with highly skilled mobility and migration in general, a particular attention will be paid to flows of (star) scientists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business in its series SRE-Disc with number sre-disc-2007_01.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/ruw/
Other versions of this item:
- Michaela Trippl & Gunther Maier, 2010. "Knowledge spillover agents and regional development," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 229-233, 06.
- Trippl, Michaela & Maier, Gunther, 2007. "Knowledge Spillover Agents and Regional Development," Papers DYNREG16, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2007-04-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2007-04-09 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2007-04-09 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierpaolo Giannoccolo, 2005.
""Brain Drain Competition" Policies in Europe: a Survey,"
20060201, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Feb 2006.
- P. Giannoccolo, 2005. "ÒBrain Drain CompetitionÓ Policies in Europe: a Survey," Working Papers 534, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- David Coleman & Robert Rowthorn, 2004. "The Economic Effects of Immigration into the United Kingdom," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 30(4), pages 579-624.
- Thomas Doring & Jan Schnellenbach, 2006.
"What do we know about geographical knowledge spillovers and regional growth?: A survey of the literature,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 375-395.
- Döring, Thomas & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2004. "What Do We Know About Geographical Knowledge Spillovers and Regional Growth? A Survey of the Literature," Research Notes 14, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufí, 2005. "Education, migration, and job satisfaction: the regional returns of human capital in the EU," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 545-566, October.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Peri, Giovanni, 2005.
"Cities and cultures,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 304-337, September.
- Jamie Peck, 2005. "Struggling with the Creative Class," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 740-770, December.
- M. S. Gertler & Y. M. Levitte, 2005. "Local Nodes in Global Networks: The Geography of Knowledge Flows in Biotechnology Innovation," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 487-507.
- Harald Bathelt & Andersand Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "Clusters and Knowledge Local Buzz, Global Pipelines and the Process of Knowledge Creation," DRUID Working Papers 02-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Davenport, Sally, 2004. "Panic and panacea: brain drain and science and technology human capital policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 617-630, May.
- Ajay Agrawal & Iain Cockburn & John McHale, 2003. "Gone But Not Forgotten: Labor Flows, Knowledge Spillovers, and Enduring Social Capital," NBER Working Papers 9950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Albert Saiz, 2003.
"The Rise of the Skilled City,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2025, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004.
"The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1117, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2006. "The economic value of cultural diversity: evidence from US cities," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 9-44, January.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 10904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo & Peri, Giovanni, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- GianMarco Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US cities," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 91, Econometric Society.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," Working Papers 2004.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2006.
"People Flows in Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby, 2006. "Movement of Star Scientists and Engineers and High-Tech Firm Entry," NBER Working Papers 12172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaela Trippl & Franz Todtling, 2007. "Developing Biotechnology Clusters in Non-high Technology Regions—The Case of Austria," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 47-67.
- Thomas Straubhaar, 2001. "War for brains," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 36(5), pages 221-222, September.
- Jarle Moen, 2005.
"Is Mobility of Technical Personnel a Source of R&D Spillovers?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 81-114, January.
- Jarle Møen, 2000. "Is Mobility of Technical Personnel a Source of R&D Spillovers?," NBER Working Papers 7834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Argote, Linda & Ingram, Paul, 2000. "Knowledge Transfer: A Basis for Competitive Advantage in Firms," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 150-169, May.
- Vijay K. Mathur & Sheldon H. Stein, 2005. "Do amenities matter in attracting knowledge workers for regional economic development?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 251-269, 06.
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Ann Markusen, 2006. "Urban development and the politics of a creative class: evidence from a study of artists," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(10), pages 1921-1940, October.
- Høgni Kalsø, Hansen & Vang, Jan & Asheim, Bjørn, 2005. "The Creative Class and Regional Growth: Towards a Knowledge Based Approach," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2005/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Ira Horowitz, 1966. "Some Aspects of the Effects of the Regional Distribution of Scientific Talent on Regional Economic Activity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 217-232, November.
- Michaela Trippl, 2009. "Islands of Innovation and Internationally Networked Labor Markets: Magnetic Centers for Star Scientists?," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2009_06, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Andrea Caragliu & Peter Nijkamp, 2011. "Cognitive Capital and Islands of Innovation: The Lucas Growth Model from a Regional Perspective," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-116/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hercog, Metka & Siegel, Melissa, 2011. "Promoting return and circular migration of the highly skilled," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 015, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Sebastian Benz & Mario Larch & Markus Zimmer, 2013. "The Structure of Europe:International Input-Output Analysis with Trade inIntermediate Inputs and Capital Flows," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 161, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013.
"Do Labour Mobility and Technological Collaborations Foster Geographical Knowledge Diffusion? The Case of European Regions,"
Growth and Change,
Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 44(2), pages 321-354, 06.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "“Do labour mobility and technological collaborations foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions”," AQR Working Papers 201306, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Jul 2013.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "“Do labour mobility and technological collaborations foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions”," IREA Working Papers 201314, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jul 2013.
- Ernest Miguele & Rosina Moreno, 2012. "Do labour mobility and networks foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions," Working Papers XREAP2012-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jul 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.