Spatio-temporal Analysis of Regional Systems: A Multiregional Spatial Vector Autoregressive Model for Spain
AbstractThis paper contributes to the recent literature in spatial econometrics that focuses on space-time data modeling implementing a multi-location time-series statistical framework to analyze a regional system. Therefore, taking as a point of departure the Global Vector Autoregression approach introduced in Pesaran et al. (2004), a multiregional spatial vector autoregressive model (MultiREG-SpVAR) is formulated and then applied to study the spatio-temporal transmission of macroeconomic shocks across the regions in Spain. The empirical application analyzes the extent to which a region?s economic output growth is influenced by the growth of its neighbors (push-in or inward growth effect), and also investigates the relevance of spillovers derived from temporary region specific output growth shocks (push-out or outward growth effect). Our results identify some regions that perform as ?growth generating? within the Spanish regional system since growth shocks from these regions spill over to a large number of regions of the country, playing a key role in transmitting regional business cycles. The policy implications of our results suggest that national and/or regional governments should stimulate economic activity in these leading regions in order to favor the economic recovery process of the whole Spanish economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa13p159.
Date of creation: Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Regional growth; spatial econometrics; vector autoregressions; spillovers.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans DEWACHTER & Romain HOUSSA & Priscilla TOFFANO, 2010.
"Spatial propagation of macroeconomic shocks in Europe,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces10.12, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Hans Dewachter & Romain Houssa & Priscilla Toffano, 2012. "Spatial propagation of macroeconomic shocks in Europe," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 377-402, June.
- Romain Houssa, 2010. "Spatial Propagation of Macroeconomic Shocks in Europe," Working Papers 1009, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011.
"Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?,"
1101, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Corrado, L. & Fingleton, B., 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-02, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?," SERC Discussion Papers 0071, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Ryan R. Brady, 2007.
"Measuring the diffusion of housing prices across space and over time,"
Departmental Working Papers
19, United States Naval Academy Department of Economics.
- Ryan R. Brady, 2011. "Measuring the diffusion of housing prices across space and over time," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 213-231, March.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Stein, Ernesto, 2007.
"Trade intensity and business cycle synchronization: Are developing countries any different?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 2-21, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries any Different?," Research Department Publications 4315, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries Any Different?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 195, Central Bank of Chile.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2006.
"Estimating multi-country VAR models,"
Working Paper Series
0603, European Central Bank.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2002. "Estimating multi-country VAR models," Economics Working Papers 920, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Fabio Canova, 2006. "Estimating Multi-country VAR models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 478, Society for Computational Economics.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2007. "Estimating Multi-country VAR models," Discussion Papers 7_2007, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Miguel Márquez & Julián Ramajo & Geoffrey Hewings, 2010. "Measuring the spillover effects of public capital: a bi-regional structural vector autoregressive analysis," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 111-125, October.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Mas Ivars Matilde & Pérez García Francisco & Uriel Jiménez Ezequiel, 2012. "El stock y los servicios de capital en España y su distribución territorial y sectorial (1964-2010)," Working Papers 2012109, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Théophile Azomahou & Claude Diebolt & Tapas Mishra, 2007.
"Spatial Persistence of Demographic Shocks and Economic Growth,"
07-04, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Azomahou, Théophile & Diebolt, Claude & Mishra, Tapas, 2009. "Spatial persistence of demographic shocks and economic growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 98-127, March.
- Neusser, Klaus, 2008. "Interdependencies of US manufacturing sectoral TFPs: A spatial VAR approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 991-1004, September.
- Valter Di Giacinto, 2010.
"On vector autoregressive modeling in space and time,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
746, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Valter Giacinto, 2010. "On vector autoregressive modeling in space and time," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 125-154, June.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & de LUCIO, Juan José, 2002.
"Economic integration and regional business cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002073, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Juan Jose Lucio, 2003. "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian Regions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 497-515, 09.
- Salvador Barrios & Juan José de Lucio, . "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," Working Papers 2001-17, FEDEA.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & DE LUCIO, Juan José, . "Economic integration and regional business cycles: evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1655, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maria Gadea & Ana Gómez-Loscos & Antonio Montañés, 2012.
"Cycles inside cycles: Spanish regional aggregation,"
Spanish Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 423-456, December.
- Maria Dolores Gadea & Ana Gomez Loscos & Antonio Montañes, 2011. "Cycles Inside Cycles. Spanish Regional Aggregation," WIFO Working Papers 390, WIFO.
- Ana Gomez Loscos & M. Dolores Gadea & Antonio MontaÃ±es, 2011. "Cycles inside cycles: Spanish regional aggregation," ERSA conference papers ersa11p99, European Regional Science Association.
- Di Giacinto, Valter, 2002. "Differential regional effects of monetary policy: a geographical SVAR approach," ERSA conference papers ersa02p257, European Regional Science Association.
- Todd H. Kuethe & Valerien Pede, 2009. "Regional Housing Price Cycles: A Spatio-Temporal Analysis Using Us State Level," Working Papers 09-04, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Jean Imbs, 2003.
"Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization,"
IMF Working Papers
03/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean Imbs, 2004. "Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 723-734, August.
- Imbs, Jean, 2003. "Trade, Finance, Specialization and Synchronization," CEPR Discussion Papers 3779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Michael Artis, 2011.
"What drives regional business cycles? The role of common and spatial components,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa10p317, European Regional Science Association.
- Michael Artis & Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin, 2011. "What Drives Regional Business Cycles? The Role Of Common And Spatial Components," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(5), pages 1035-1044, 09.
- J. Elhorst, 2012. "Dynamic spatial panels: models, methods, and inferences," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 5-28, January.
- Jesús Mur & Fernando López, 2010. "Modeling spatiotemporal data: an issue in honor of Dr. Jean Paelinck," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 105-109, June.
- Sergio J. Rey & Mark V. Janikas, 2004. "STARS: Space-Time Analysis of Regional Systems," Urban/Regional 0406001, EconWPA.
- Michael Beenstock & Daniel Felsenstein, 2007. "Spatial Vector Autoregressions," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 167-196.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.