Spatial Vector Autoregressions
AbstractAbstract A spatial vector autoregressive model (SpVAR) is defined as a VAR which includes spatial as well as temporal lags among a vector of stationary state variables. SpVARs may contain disturbances that are spatially as well as temporally correlated. Although the structural parameters are not fully identified in SpVARs, contemporaneous spatial lag coefficients may be identified by weakly exogenous state variables. Dynamic spatial panel data econometrics is used to estimate SpVARs. The incidental parameter problem is handled by bias correction rather than more popular alternatives such as generalised methods of moments (GMM). The interaction between temporal and spatial stationarity is discussed. The impulse responses for SpVARs are derived, which naturally depend upon the temporal and spatial dynamics of the model. We provide an empirical illustration using annual spatial panel data for Israel. The estimated SpVAR is used to calculate impulse responses between variables, over time, and across space. Finally, weakly exogenous instrumental variables are used to identify contemporaneous spatial lag coefficients.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Spatial Economic Analysis.
Volume (Year): 2 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RSEA20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schanne, Norbert & Wapler, Rüdiger & Weyh, Antje, 2008.
"Regional unemployment forecasts with spatial interdependencies,"
IAB Discussion Paper
200828, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Schanne, N. & Wapler, R. & Weyh, A., 2010. "Regional unemployment forecasts with spatial interdependencies," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 908-926, October.
- Hampel, Katharina & Kunz, Marcus & Schanne, Norbert & Wapler, Rüdiger & Weyh, Antje, 2007. "Regional employment forecasts with spatial interdependencies," IAB Discussion Paper 200702, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Marinho Bertanha & Eduardo Haddad, 2006. "Impactos Regionais Da Política Monetária: Uma Abordagem Econométrica Utilizando Svar Espacial," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 133, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Valter Giacinto, 2010.
"On vector autoregressive modeling in space and time,"
Journal of Geographical Systems,
Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 125-154, June.
- Valter Di Giacinto, 2010. "On vector autoregressive modeling in space and time," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 746, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kukenova, Madina & Monteiro, Jose-Antonio, 2008.
"Spatial Dynamic Panel Model and System GMM: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
11569, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2008.
- José-Antonio Monteiro & Madina Kukenova, 2009. "Spatial Dynamic Panel Model and System GMM: A Monte Carlo Investigation," IRENE Working Papers 09-01, IRENE Institute of Economic Research.
- Kukenova, Madina & Monteiro, Jose-Antonio, 2008. "Spatial Dynamic Panel Model and System GMM: A Monte Carlo Investigation," MPRA Paper 13405, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2009.
- Todd H. Kuethe & Valerien Pede, 2009. "Regional Housing Price Cycles: A Spatio-Temporal Analysis Using Us State Level," Working Papers 09-04, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Daniel Felsenstein, 2011. "Capital Deepening and Regional Inequality: An Empirical Analysis (refereed paper)," ERSA conference papers ersa10p759, European Regional Science Association.
- Hans DEWACHTER & Romain HOUSSA & Priscilla TOFFANO, 2010.
"Spatial propagation of macroeconomic shocks in Europe,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces10.12, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Hans Dewachter & Romain Houssa & Priscilla Toffano, 2012. "Spatial propagation of macroeconomic shocks in Europe," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 377-402, June.
- Romain Houssa, 2010. "Spatial Propagation of Macroeconomic Shocks in Europe," Working Papers 1009, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero, 2011.
"An empirical analysis of habit and addiction to antibiotics,"
1110, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- M. Filippini & G. Masiero, 2012. "An empirical analysis of habit and addiction to antibiotics," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 471-486, April.
- Gabriel Garber & Eduardo A. Haddad, 2012. "Target Fitting and Robustness Analysis in CGE Models," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_14, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Álvarez, Inmaculada & Barbero, Javier, 2013. "Knowledge Spillovers in Neoclassical Growth Model: an extension with Public Sector," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2013/07, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Matías Mayor & Roberto Patuelli, 2012.
"Short-Run Regional Forecasts: Spatial Models through Varying Cross-Sectional and Temporal Dimensions,"
Working Paper Series
15_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Oct 2012.
- M. Mayor-Fernández & R. Patuelli, 2012. "Short-Run Regional Forecasts: Spatial Models through Varying Cross-Sectional and Temporal Dimensions," Working Papers wp835, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Massimo Filippini & Laura González & Giuliano Masiero, 2010. "Estimating dynamic consumption of antibiotics using panel data: the shadow effect of bacterial resistance," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1011, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Minfeng Deng & George Athanasopoulos, 2009. "Modelling Australian Domestic and International Inbound Travel: a Spatial-Temporal Approach," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 10/09, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- J. Elhorst, 2012. "Dynamic spatial panels: models, methods, and inferences," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 5-28, January.
- Jolejole-Foreman, Maria Christina & Mallory, Mindy L. & Baylis, Katherine R., 2013. "Impact of Wheat and Rice Export Ban on Indian Market Integration," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150595, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Michael Beenstock & Daniel Felsenstein, 2010. "Spatial error correction and cointegration in nonstationary panel data: regional house prices in Israel," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 189-206, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.