Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian Regions
AbstractThis paper provides evidence of the positive impact of economic integration on EU regions' business cycles convergence by focusing on two neighbouring countries: Spain and Portugal. We show that while a rise in cross-country business cycle correlation has also been experienced by other European countries, it has been relatively more pronounced for Iberian regions. Econometric evidence suggests that the existence of an administrative border, the economic size of regions and their industrial structures can explain a substantial proportion of regional cycles. Copyright 2003 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 65 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Salvador Barrios & Juan José de Lucio, . "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," Working Papers 2001-17, FEDEA.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & de LUCIO, Juan José, 2002. "Economic integration and regional business cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 2002073, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BARRIOS, Salvador & DE LUCIO, Juan José, . "Economic integration and regional business cycles: evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers RP, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) -1655, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buiter, Willem H, 2000. "Optimal Currency Areas: Why Does The Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2366, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bentolila, Samuel, 1997.
"Sticky labor in Spanish regions,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 591-598, April.
- Bentolila, S, 1996. "Sticky Labor in Spanish Regions," Papers, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros- 9616, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Clark, Todd E. & van Wincoop, Eric, 2001.
"Borders and business cycles,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 59-85, October.
- Todd E. Clark & Eric van Wincoop, 1999. "Borders and business cycles," Research Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City 99-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Todd E. Clark & Eric van Wincoop, 1999. "Borders and business cycles," Staff Reports, Federal Reserve Bank of New York 91, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Bentolila, Samuel, 1998. "Regional unemployment persistence (Spain, 1976-1994)," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 25-51, March.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Jimeno, Juan F, 1995. "Structural Unemployment: Spain versus Portugal," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 212-18, May.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Oscar Bajo-Rubio, .
"Vulnerability to Shocks in EMU: 1991-2004,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2005. "Vulnerability To Shocks In Emu: 1991-2004," Working Papers, AsociaciÃ³n EspaÃ±ola de EconomÃa y Finanzas Internacionales 05-08, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Thomas Walker & David Norman, 2004. "Co-movement of Australian State Business Cycles," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings, Econometric Society 334, Econometric Society.
- Mario Izquierdo & Omar Licandro & Alberto Maydeu, .
"Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain,"
- Mario Izquierdo & Omar Licandro & Alberto Maydey, . "Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 121, FEDEA.
- Robert Dixon & David Shepherd, 2013.
"Regional Dimensions of the Australian Business Cycle,"
Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(2), pages 264-281, February.
- Robert Dixon & David Shepherd, 2009. "Regional Dimensions of the Australian Business Cycle," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series, The University of Melbourne 1088, The University of Melbourne.
- Gabriele Tondl & Iulia Traistaru-Siedschlag, 2006. "Regional growth cycle synchronisation with the Euro Area," Papers, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) WP173, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Salá Rios, Mercé & Farré Perdiguer, Mariona & Torres Solé, Teresa, 2011. "El ciclo económico de Cataluña. Un análisis de la simetría respecto a España y a la UEM/Catalonia's Business Cycle. An Analysis of the Symmetry in Relation to Spain and the EMU," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 913 (24 pÃ¡, Diciembre.
- Jürgen Bierbaumer-Polly, 2012. "Regional Business Cycles in the Austrian Economy," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 85(11), pages 833-848, November.
- Goggin, Jean & Siedschlag, Iulia, 2009. "International Transmission of Business Cycles Between Ireland and its Trading Partners," Papers, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) WP279, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Andrea Molinari, 2007.
"Regional Business Cycles and National Economic Borders: What Are the Effects of Trade in Developing Countries?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer,
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 140-178, April.
- Christian Ariel Volpe Martincus & Andrea Molinari, 2005. "Regional Business Cycles and National Economic Borders - What are the Effects of Trade in Developing Countries?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p93, European Regional Science Association.
- Raul Filipe C. Guerreiro & Paulo C. Rodrigues & Jorge M. L. G. Andraz, 2011. "A comparison of the cyclical evolution of various geographic areas of reference with Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Andres Rodríguez-Pose & Ugo Fratesi, 2003. "Regional economic cycles and the emergence of sheltered economies in the periphery of the EU," ERSA conference papers ersa03p189, European Regional Science Association.
- Iulia Siedschlag & Gabriele Tondl, 2011. "Regional output growth synchronisation with the Euro Area," Empirica, Springer, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 203-221, May.
- Sandra Poncet & Jean Barthélemy, 2008. "Ampleur et déterminants des cycles d’activité en Chine," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, Programme National Persée, vol. 185(4), pages 1-12.
- David Norman & Thomas Walker, 2004. "Co-movement of Australian State Business Cycles," RBA Research Discussion Papers, Reserve Bank of Australia rdp2004-09, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Julian Ramajo & Miguel A. Marquez & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings, 2013. "Spatio-temporal Analysis of Regional Systems: A Multiregional Spatial Vector Autoregressive Model for Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa13p159, European Regional Science Association.
- Ageliki Anagnostou & Ioannis Panteladis & Maria Tsiapa, 2012. "Disentangling Different Patterns of Business Cycle Synchronicity in The EU Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa12p924, European Regional Science Association.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Gary A. Wagner & David C. Wheelock, 2005. "Regional disparities in the spatial correlation of state income growth," Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis 2005-061, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Correia, L. & Gouveia, S., 2013. "Business cycle synchronisation at the regional level: evidence for the Portuguese regions," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(1), pages 91-104.
- Juergen Bierbaumer-Polly, 2012. "Regional and Sectoral Business Cycles - Key Features for the Austrian economy," EcoMod2012 4074, EcoMod.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.