Offshoring, Immigration, and the Native Wage Distribution
AbstractWhile workers in developed countries have become increasingly concerned about the impact that offshoring and immigration have on their wages, the available evidence remains mixed. This paper presents a simple model that examines the impact offshoring and immigration on wages and tests these predictions using U.S. state-industry-year panel data. According to the model, the productivity effect causes offshoring to have a more positive impact on low-skilled wages than immigration, but this gap decreases with the workers. skill level. The empirical results confirm both of these predictions and thus present direct evidence of the productivity effect. Furthermore, the results provide important insight into how specific components of oâ‚¬shoring and immigration affect the wages of particular types of native workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Williams College in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 2010-10.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision: Feb 2011
Publication status: Forthcoming in Canadian Journal of Economics
Other versions of this item:
- William W. Olney, 2012. "Offshoring, immigration, and the native wage distribution," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(3), pages 830-856, August.
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-10-02 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2010-10-02 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph C. Cooper & C. Tim Osborn, 1998.
"The Effect of Rental Rates on the Extension of Conservation Reserve Program Contracts,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 184-194.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Osborn, Tim, 1998. "The effect of rental rates on the extension of Conservation Reserve Program contracts," MPRA Paper 24781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael J. Roberts & Ruben N. Lubowski, 2007. "Enduring Impacts of Land Retirement Policies: Evidence from the Conservation Reserve Program," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 83(4), pages 516-538.
- JunJie Wu, 2000. "Slippage Effects of the Conservation Reserve Program," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 979-992.
- Silvia Secchi & Bruce A. Babcock, 2007. "Impact of High Crop Prices on Environmental Quality: A Case of Iowa and the Conservation Reserve Program," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-wp447, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri & Greg C. Wright, 2012.
"Immigration, Offshoring and American Jobs,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1147, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Immigration, Offshoring and American Jobs," NBER Working Papers 16439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri & Greg. C. Wright, 2010. "Immigration, Offshoring and American Jobs," Development Working Papers 298, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo & Peri, Giovanni & Wright, Greg C., 2010. "Immigration, Offshoring and American Jobs," CEPR Discussion Papers 8078, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Immigration, Offshoring and American Jobs," Working Papers 2010.145, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Immigration, offshoring and American jobs," Working Paper Research 205, National Bank of Belgium.
- Montiel, Peter J. & Serven, Luis, 2008.
"Real exchange rates, saving and growth : is there a link ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4636, The World Bank.
- Peter J. Montiel & Luis ServÃ©n, 2008. "Real Exchange Rates, Saving and Growth: Is there a Link?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2010-18, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Peter J. Montiel & Luis Servén, 2008. "Real Exchange Rates, Saving and Growth: Is there a Link?," Center for Development Economics 2008-06, Department of Economics, Williams College.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Sheppard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.