El retorno a las competencias para los titulados universitarios catalanes
AbstractIn this paper the impact of different types of competences in the labor market for college graduates is investigated. We use two waves of a new data set of Catalan college graduates interviewed three years after graduation. We use wages equation to calculate the payoff to management, communication, specific and instrumental competences. By far, management competences are those which command a higher pay-off. This positive pay-off seems to be independent of individualsâ€™ cognitive capacities. We show that most of the individual endowment in management competences is developed in the workplace. However, a strong background of theoretical knowledge (developed in the class room) helps a great deal to accumulate working related competences and, hence, has a large indirect pay-off.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2072/179591.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Estudiants universitaris -- Treball; Competències professionals; 331 - Treball. Relacions laborals. Ocupació. Organització del treball;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph G. Altonji & Prashant Bharadwaj & Fabian Lange, 2012.
"Changes in the Characteristics of American Youth: Implications for Adult Outcomes,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 783 - 828.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Prashant Bharadwaj & Fabian Lange, 2008. "Changes in the Characteristics of American Youth: Implications for Adult Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 13883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heijke,Hans & Meng,Christoph & Ramaekers,Ger, 2003. "An investigation into the role of human capital competences and their pay-off," ROA Research Memorandum 001, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Stewart, Mark B, 1982.
"On Least Squares Estimation when the Dependent Variable is Grouped,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
207, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1983. "On Least Squares Estimation When the Dependent Variable Is Grouped," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 737-53, October.
- Mark B. Stewart, 1982. "On Least Squares Estimation When the Dependent Variable is Grouped," Working Papers 539, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robst, John, 2007. "Education and job match: The relatedness of college major and work," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 397-407, August.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, May.
- Grip,Andries,de & Bosma,Hans & Willems,Dick & Boxtel,Martin,van, 2005.
"Job-worker Mismatch and Cognitive Decline,"
ROA Research Memorandum
009, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Fatima Suleman & Jean-Jacques Paul, 2007. "Diversity of human capital attributes and diversity of remunerations," Post-Print halshs-00181402, HAL.
- Julio Grao & Luis Vila & José-Gines Mora & Pedro José Pérez Vázquez & Carlos Ochoa Laburu & Cristina Uriarte & José Miguel Carot & Marian Iriarte, 2011. "Aportación de la universidad y de la experiencia laboral al desarrollo de competencias en la juventud egresada," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 6, in: Antonio Caparrós Ruiz (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 6, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 35, pages 563-576 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Murnane, Richard J & Willett, John B & Levy, Frank, 1995.
"The Growing Importance of Cognitive Skills in Wage Determination,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 251-66, May.
- Richard J. Murnane & John B. Willett & Frank Levy, 1995. "The Growing Importance of Cognitive Skills in Wage Determination," NBER Working Papers 5076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dieter Verhaest & Eddy Omey, 2013.
"The Relationship Between Formal Education And Skill Acquisition In Young Workers' First Jobs,"
University of Manchester, vol. 81(4), pages 638-659, 07.
- D. Verhaest & E. Omey, 2012. "The relationship between formal education and skill acquisition in young workers’ first jobs," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/768, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Griliches, Zvi & Mason, William M, 1972. "Education, Income, and Ability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages S74-S103, Part II, .
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Age and Experience Profiles of Earnings," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 64-82 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Cawley & James Heckman & Edward Vytlacil, 1998. "Understanding the Role of Cognitive Ability in Accounting for the Recent Rise in the Economic Return to Education," NBER Working Papers 6388, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., 2000. "Youth labour markets in Spain: Education, training, and crowding-out," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 943-956, May.
- Kevin Denny & Colm Harmon & Vincent O'Sullivan, 2004. "Education, earnings and skills: a multi-country comparison," IFS Working Papers W04/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Smith, Jeremy & McKnight, Abigail & Naylor, Robin, 2000. "Graduate Employability: Policy and Performance in Higher Education in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(464), pages F382-411, June.
- Andy Dickerson & Francis Green, 2004. "The growth and valuation of computing and other generic skills," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(3), pages 371-406, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.