Graduate Employability: Policy and Performance in Higher Education in the UK
AbstractThe UK government is introducing new sets of indicators designed to measure the performance of universities. A first wave of indicators was published in December 1999. A performance indicator based on graduate employment outcomes will follow. This paper proposes a method for developing employment-related performance indicators based on the analysis of data on the first destinations of a full cohort of leavers from pre-1992 universities in the United Kingdom. We analyse the determinants of graduate first destinations and suggest a method for the construction of university performance indicators. We also discuss limitations of league tables based on university performance indicators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 110 (2000)
Issue (Month): 464 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Livanos, Ilias, 2009. "The Relationship Between Higher Education and Labour Market in Greece: the Weakest Link?," MPRA Paper 16239, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Norman Ireland & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy Smith & Shqiponja Telhaj, 2009.
"Educational Returns, Ability Composition and Cohort Effects: Theory and Evidence for Cohorts of Early-Career UK Graduates,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0939, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ireland, Norman & Naylor, Robin A. & Smith, Jeremy & Telhaj, Shqiponja, 2009. "Educational Returns, ability composition and cohort effects : theory and evidence for cohorts of early-career UK graduates," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 906, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Norman Ireland & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy Smith & Shqiponja Telhaj, 2009. "Educational returns, ability composition and cohort effects: theory and evidence for cohorts of early-career UK graduates," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28608, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bratti, Massimiliano, 2006.
"Social Class and Undergraduate Degree Subject in the UK,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1979, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Massimiliano Bratti, 2005. "Social Class and Undergraduate Degree Subject in the UK," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1015, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Daša Farcnik & Polona Domadenik, 2012. "Has the Bologna reform enhanced the employability of graduates? Early evidence from Slovenia," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 51-75, June.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Abigail McKnight & Robin Naylor & Jeremy Smith, 2004.
"Higher education outcomes, graduate employment and university performance indicators,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 167(3), pages 475-496.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & McKnight, Abigail & Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2003. "Higher Education Outcomes, Graduate Employment and University Performance Indicators," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 692, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kuhn, Michael & Siciliani, Luigi, 2007. "Performance Indicators for Quality with Adverse Selection, Gaming and Inequality Aversion," CEPR Discussion Papers 6261, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koda, Yoshiko & Yuki, Takako, 2012. "The Labor Market Outcomes of Two Forms of Cross-Border Higher Education Degree Programs between Malaysia and Japan," Working Papers 41, JICA Research Institute.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Naylor, Robin A. & Smith, Jeremy P., 2005.
"Effects of in-class variation and student rank on the probability of withdrawal: cross-section and time-series analysis for UK university students,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 251-262, June.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2002. "Effects of In-Class Variation and Student Rank on the Probability of Withdrawal: Cross-Section and Time-Series Analysis for UK University Students," IZA Discussion Papers 655, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bratti, M., 2001.
"Does the choice of university matter? A study of the differences across uk universities in life sciences students' degree performance,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
584, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Bratti, Massimiliano, 2002. "Does the choice of university matter?: a study of the differences across UK universities in life sciences students' degree performance," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 431-443, October.
- Massimiliano Bratti, 2001. "Does the Choice of University Matter? A Study of the Differences across UK Universites in Life Sciences Students' Degree Performance," HEW 0012003, EconWPA.
- Monaco, Luisa, 2011. "Measuring Italian university efficiency: a non-parametric approach," MPRA Paper 37949, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 29 Feb 2012.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy & McKnight, Abigail, 2002. "Sheer Class? The Impact Of Degree Performance On Graduate Labour Market Outcomes," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 659, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Di Pietro, Giorgio, 2010. "The Impact of Degree Class on the First Destinations of Graduates: A Regression Discontinuity Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 4836, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gabriele BALLARINO & Massimiliano BRATTI, 2006. "Fields of study and graduates? occupational outcomes in Italy during the 90s. Who won and who lost?," Departmental Working Papers 2006-17, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Fernando Alexandre & Miguel Portela & Carla Sá, 2008.
"Admission conditions and graduates' employability,"
NIPE Working Papers
16/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Mañé Vernet, Ferran, 2010. "El retorno a las competencias para los titulados universitarios catalanes," Working Papers 2072/179591, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.