Returns to Schooling and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Union of Two Literatures
AbstractIn this paper, we review and unite the literatures on returns to schooling and Bayesian model averaging. We observe that most studies seeking to estimate the returns to education have done so using particular "and often different across researchers" model specifications. Given this, we review Bayesian methods which formally account for uncertainty in the specification of the model itself, and apply these techniques to estimate the economic return to a college education. The approach described in this paper enables us to determine those model specifications which are most favored by the given data, and also enables us to use the predictions obtained from all of the competing regression models to estimate the returns to schooling. The reported precision of such estimates also account for the uncertainty inherent in the model specification. Using U.S. data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth "NLSY", we also revisit several 'stylized facts' in the returns to education literature and examine if they continue to hold after formally accounting for model uncertainty. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 18 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
Other versions of this item:
- Li, Mingliang & Tobias, Justin, 2004. "Returns to Schooling and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Union of Two Literatures," Staff General Research Papers 12011, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2010.
"Mixtures of g-priors for Bayesian model averaging with economic applications,"
26941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F.J., 2012. "Mixtures of g-priors for Bayesian model averaging with economic applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 251-266.
- Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 2011. "Mixtures of g-priors for bayesian model averaging with economic applications," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws112116, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F.J., 2011. "Mixtures of g-priors for Bayesian Model Averaging with economic application," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5732, The World Bank.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2011. "Mixtures of g-priors for Bayesian model averaging with economic applications," MPRA Paper 36817, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2011.
"Model averaging in economics,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1123, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gary Koop & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Rodney Strachan, 2011.
"Bayesian Model Averaging in the Instrumental Variable Regression Model,"
Working Paper Series
09_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Aug 2012.
- Koop, Gary & Leon-Gonzalez, Roberto & Strachan, Rodney, 2012. "Bayesian model averaging in the instrumental variable regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 237-250.
- Koop, Gary & Leon-Gonzalez, Roberto & Strachan, Rodney, 2011. "Bayesian Model Averaging in the Instrumental Variable Regression Model," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-23, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Gary Koop & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Rodney Strachan, 2011. "Bayesian Model Averaging in the Instrumental Variable Regression Model," Working Papers 1112, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Gary Koop & Robert Leon Gonzalez & Rodney Strachan, 2011. "Bayesian Model Averaging in the Instrumental Variable Regression Model," GRIPS Discussion Papers 10-32, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Vanina Forget, 2012. "Doing well and doing good: a multi-dimensional puzzle," Working Papers hal-00672037, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.