Doing well and doing good: a multi-dimensional puzzle
AbstractSocially responsible firms are expected by European regulators to create shared value for their shareholders, their stakeholders and society. Yet how to generate profits while providing public good is still academically debated. This paper argues that corporate social responsibility encompasses many diversified policies with variant effects on profitability. Which policy most matters economically? As theoretical guidance lacks, this multidimensional puzzle typically encounters model uncertainty. To account for it, model averaging is presented and applied to a unique database matching the economic and social performances of large European firms. Resultssupport that socially responsible corporate policies do not equally matter to do well and do good. In particular, good business behaviors with customers and suppliers appear core. Strong support is also brought to the co-existence of policies monotonically related to profitability (human resources) and policies with an optimal level (environmental policies). Consequences for business and policy makers are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00672037.
Date of creation: 20 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00672037
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
corporate social responsibility; firm performance; model averaging; model uncertainty; multidimensionality.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2012-02-27 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-HRM-2012-02-27 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Brock & Steven Durlauf & Kenneth West, 2005.
"Model uncertainty and policy evaluation: some theory and empirics,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Brock, William A. & Durlauf, Steven N. & West, Kenneth D., 2007. "Model uncertainty and policy evaluation: Some theory and empirics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 629-664, February.
- Brock,W.A. & Durlauf,S.N. & West,K.D., 2004. "Model uncertainty and policy evaluation : some theory and empirics," Working papers 19, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf & Kenneth D. West, 2004. "Model Uncertainty and Policy Evaluation: Some Theory and Empirics," NBER Working Papers 10916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Bagnoli & Susan G. Watts, 2003. "Selling to Socially Responsible Consumers: Competition and The Private Provision of Public Goods," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 419-445, 09.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000.
"Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
7750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin & Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller, 2004. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 813-835, September.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (Bace) Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 266, OECD Publishing.
- Stephen Brammer & Chris Brooks & Stephen Pavelin, 2006.
"Corporate Social Performance and Stock Returns: UK Evidence from Disaggregate Measures,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 97-116, 09.
- Stephen Brammer & Chris Brooks & Stephen Pavelin, 2006. "Corporate Social Performance and Stock Returns: UK Evidence from Disaggregate Measures," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 35(3), Autumn.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2005.
"Forecasting using Bayesian and information theoretic model averaging: an application to UK inflation,"
Bank of England working papers
268, Bank of England.
- Kapetanios, George & Labhard, Vincent & Price, Simon, 2008. "Forecasting Using Bayesian and Information-Theoretic Model Averaging: An Application to U.K. Inflation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 33-41, January.
- Kapetanios, G. & Labhard, V. & Price, S., 2007. "Forecasting using Bayesian and information theoretic model averaging: an application to UK inflation," Working Papers 07/15, Department of Economics, City University London.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2006. "Forecasting using Bayesian and Information Theoretic Model Averaging: An Application to UK Inflation," Working Papers 566, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- David P. Baron, 2009. "A Positive Theory of Moral Management, Social Pressure, and Corporate Social Performance," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 7-43, 03.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Ron S. Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2011.
"Private Equity and Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
17399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Avramov, Doron, 2002. "Stock return predictability and model uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 423-458, June.
- Giovanni Cespa & Giacinta Cestone, 2007.
"Corporate Social Responsibility and Managerial Entrenchment,"
CSEF Working Papers
173, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Cespa, Giovanni & Cestone, Giacinta, 2004. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Managerial Entrenchment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Justin L. Tobias & Mingliang Li, 2004.
"Returns to Schooling and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Union of Two Literatures,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 153-180, 04.
- Li, Mingliang & Tobias, Justin, 2004. "Returns to Schooling and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Union of Two Literatures," Staff General Research Papers 12011, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Schleicher, C. & Zaffaroni, P., 2008.
"Model Averaging in Risk Management with an Application to Futures Markets,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0808, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Schleicher, Christoph & Zaffaroni, Paolo, 2009. "Model averaging in risk management with an application to futures markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 280-305, March.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Christoph Schleicher & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2008. "Model Averaging in Risk Management with an Application to Futures Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2231, CESifo Group Munich.
- Theo S. Eicher & Christian Henn & Chris Papageorgiou, 2012.
"Trade creation and diversion revisited: Accounting for model uncertainty and natural trading partner effects,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(2), pages 296-321, 03.
- Theo Eicher & Christian Henn & Chris Papageorgiou, 2010. "Trade Creation and Diversion Revisited: Accounting for Model Uncertainty and Natural Trading Partner Effects," Working Papers UWEC-2007-18-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Catherine J. Morrison-Paul & Donald S. Siegel, 2006.
"Corporate Social Responsibility and Economic Performance,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0605, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Catherine M. Paul & Donald Siegel, 2006. "Corporate social responsibility and economic performance," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 207-211, December.
- Doppelhofer, G. & Weeks, M., 2005.
"Jointness of Growth Determinants,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0542, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Tomáš Slacík, 2007.
"On the Determinants of Currency Crises: The Role of Model Uncertainty,"
Focus on European Economic Integration,
Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 54-68.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Slacik, Tomas, 2009. "On the determinants of currency crises: The role of model uncertainty," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 621-632, December.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Tomas Slacik, . "On the determinants of currency crises: The role of model uncertainty," Working Papers 2008-03, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Wright, Jonathan H., 2008.
"Bayesian Model Averaging and exchange rate forecasts,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 329-341, October.
- Jonathan H. Wright, 2003. "Bayesian Model Averaging and exchange rate forecasts," International Finance Discussion Papers 779, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2007. "Least Squares Model Averaging," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1175-1189, 07.
- Hjort N.L. & Claeskens G., 2003. "Frequentist Model Average Estimators," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 879-899, January.
- Giovanni Cespa & Giacinta Cestone, 2007. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Managerial Entrenchment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 741-771, 09.
- Brekke, Kjell Arne & Nyborg, Karine, 2008. "Attracting responsible employees: Green production as labor market screening," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 509-526, December.
- David Layton & S. Lee, 2006. "Embracing Model Uncertainty: Strategies for Response Pooling and Model Averaging," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(1), pages 51-85, 05.
- Hamparsum Bozdogan, 1987. "Model selection and Akaike's Information Criterion (AIC): The general theory and its analytical extensions," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 345-370, September.
- Sandra Cavaco & Patricia Crifo, 2010. "The CSR-Firm Performance Missing Link: Complementarity Between Environmental, Social and Business Behavior Criteria?," Working Papers hal-00504747, HAL.
- Wagner, Martin & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2009. "Growth Regressions, Principal Components and Frequentist Model Averaging," Economics Series 236, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2004. "Forecasting in dynamic factor models using Bayesian model averaging," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 550-565, December.
- Levin, Andrew T. & Williams, John C., 2003.
"Robust monetary policy with competing reference models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 945-975, July.
- John C. Williams & Andrew T. Levin, 2003. "Robust Monetary Policy with Competing Reference Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 291, Society for Computational Economics.
- Andrew T. Levin & John C. Williams, 2003. "Robust monetary policy with competing reference models," Working Paper Series 2003-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- A Garratt & K Lee & M H Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin, 2004. "Forecast Uncertainties in Macroeconomics Modelling: An Application to the UK Economy," ESE Discussion Papers 64, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Jeon, Yongil, 2004. "Thick modeling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 323-343, March.
- Christopher H. Jackson & Simon G. Thompson & Linda D. Sharples, 2009. "Accounting for uncertainty in health economic decision models by using model averaging," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 172(2), pages 383-404.
- Paul R. Portney, 2008. "The (Not So) New Corporate Social Responsibility: An Empirical Perspective," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(2), pages 261-275, Summer.
- Konar, Shameek & Cohen, Mark A., 1997. "Information As Regulation: The Effect of Community Right to Know Laws on Toxic Emissions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, January.
- Carlo A. Favero & Marco Aiolfi & Giorgio Primiceri, . "Recursive `thick´ modeling of excess returns and portfolio allocation," Working Papers 197, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Least-squares forecast averaging," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 342-350, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.