Job-Worker Mismatch and Cognitive Decline
AbstractWe have used longitudinal test data on various aspects of people’s cognitive abilities to analyze whether overeducated workers are more vulnerable to a decline in their cognitive abilities, and undereducated workers are less vulnerable. We found that a job-worker mismatch induces a cognitive decline with respect to immediate and delayed recall abilities, cognitive flexibility and verbal fluency. Our findings indicate that, to some extent, it is the adjustment of the ability level of the overeducated and undereducated workers that adjusts initial job-worker mismatch. This adds to the relevance of preventing overeducation, and shows that being employed in a challenging job contributes to workers’ cognitive resilience.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 2956.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Oxford Economic Papers, 2008, 60 (2), 237-253
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- I19 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Other
- I29 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2007-09-02 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-09-02 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sicherman, Nachum & Galor, Oded, 1990.
"A Theory of Career Mobility,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 169-92, February.
- Oded Galor & Nachum Sicherman, 1988. "A Theory of Career Mobility," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 51, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Russell W. Rumberger, 1987. "The Impact of Surplus Schooling on Productivity and Earnings," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(1), pages 24-50.
- James Heckman & Pedro Carneiro, 2003.
"Human Capital Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
9495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob Mincer & Haim Ofek, 1982. "Interrupted Work Careers: Depreciation and Restoration of Human Capital," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(1), pages 3-24.
- Alfonso Alba-Ramírez, 1993. "Mismatch in the Spanish Labor Market: Overeducation?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(2), pages 259-278.
- Nachum Sicherman, 1987.
"Over-Education in the Labor Market,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
48, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Groot, Wim & Maassen van den Brink, Henriette, 2000. "Overeducation in the labor market: a meta-analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Allen, Jim & van der Velden, Rolf, 2001. "Educational Mismatches versus Skill Mismatches: Effects on Wages, Job Satisfaction, and On-the-Job Search," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 434-52, July.
- P. J. Sloane & H. Battu & P. T. Seaman, 1999. "Overeducation, undereducation and the British labour market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1437-1453.
- F Green & Steven McIntosh & Anna Vignoles, 1999. "Overeducation and Skills - Clarifying the Concepts," CEP Discussion Papers dp0435, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Desjardins & Arne Jonas Warnke, 2012.
"Ageing and Skills: A Review and Analysis of Skill Gain and Skill Loss Over the Lifespan and Over Time,"
OECD Education Working Papers
72, OECD Publishing.
- Desjardins, Richard & Warnke, Arne Jonas, 2012. "Ageing and Skills: A Review and Analysis of Skill Gain and Skill Loss Over the Lifespan and Over Time," EconStor Preprints 57089, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Santiago Budría, 2011.
"Are Educational Mismatches Responsible for the ‘Inequality Increasing Effect’ of Education?,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 102(3), pages 409-437, July.
- Budria, Santiago, 2010. "Are educational mismatches responsible for the ‘inequality increasing effect’ of education?," MPRA Paper 23420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stijn BAERT & Bart COCKX & Dieter VERHAEST, 2012.
"Overeducation at the start of the career - stepping stone or trap?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2012012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Baert, Stijn & Cockx, Bart & Verhaest, Dieter, 2013. "Overeducation at the start of the career: Stepping stone or trap?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 123-140.
- S. Baert & B. Cockx & D. Verhaest, 2012. "Overeducation at the start of the career - stepping stone or trap?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/787, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baert, Stijn & Cockx, Bart & Verhaest, Dieter, 2012. "Overeducation at the Start of the Career: Stepping Stone or Trap?," IZA Discussion Papers 6562, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Baert, Stijn & Cockx, Bart & Verhaest, Dieter, 2012. "Overeducation at the start of the career - stepping stone or trap?," Working Papers 2012/27, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Stijn Baert & Bart Cockx & Dieter Verhaest, 2012. "Overeducation at the Start of the Career - Stepping Stone or Trap?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3825, CESifo Group Munich.
- Grip Andries de & Dupuy Arnaud & Jolles Jelle & Boxtel Martin van, 2012.
"Retirement and cognitive development: are the retired really inactive?,"
ROA Research Memorandum
003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Grip Andries de & Dupuy Arnaud & Jolles Jelle & Boxtel Martin van, 2012. "Retirement and cognitive development: are the retired really inactive?," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- DE GRIP Andries & DUPUY Arnaud & JOLLES Jelle & VAN BOXTEL Martin, 2013. "Retirement and Cognitive Development: Are the Retired Really Inactive?," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2013-11, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Andries de Grip & Arnaud Dupuy & Jelle Jolles & Martin van Boxtel, 2012. "Retirement and Cognitive Development: Are the Retired Really Inactive?," Working Papers 2012/14, Maastricht School of Management.
- Mañé Vernet, Ferran, 2010. "El retorno a las competencias para los titulados universitarios catalanes," Working Papers 2072/179591, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Kiersztyn, Anna, 2013. "Stuck in a mismatch? The persistence of overeducation during twenty years of the post-communist transition in Poland," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 78-91.
- I�aki Iriondo & Teodosio P�rez-Amaral, 2013. "The Effect of Educational Mismatch on Wages Using European Panel Data," Working Papers 700, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Riccardo Leoni, 2011. "Employability of graduates and development of competencies: mind the gap and mind the step! Empirical evidence for Italy," Working Papers 1101, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Driouchi, Ahmed, 2014. "Unemployment Persistence & Risks of Skill Obsolescence in Arab Countries," MPRA Paper 53793, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dieter Verhaest & Eddy Omey, 2012. "Overeducation, Undereducation and Earnings: Further Evidence on the Importance of Ability and Measurement Error Bias," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 76-90, March.
- Samo Pavlin, 2011. "Varieties of Professional Domains and Employability Determinants in Higher Education," Working Papers 36, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
- Verhaest, Dieter & Schatteman, Tom, 2010. "Overeducation in the early career: an analysis using sequence techniques," Working Papers 2010/09, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.