A Nonlinear IV Likelihood-Based Rank Test for Multivariate Time Series and Long Panels
AbstractA test for the rank of a vector error correction model (VECM) or panel VECM based on the well-known trace test is proposed. The proposed test employs instrumental variables (IV's) generated by a class of nonlinear functions of the estimated stochastic trends of the VECM under the null. The test improves the standard trace test by replacing the non-standard critical values with chi-squared critical values. Extending the result to the panel VECM case, the test is robust to cross-sectional correlation of the disturbances. With this test, I extend earlier research using nonlinear IV's for unit root testing. However, the optimal instrument in the univariate case is not admissable in the more general multivariate case. The chi-squared result suggests that IV tests may be used to replace limits of other standard tests with integrated time series that are given by nonstandard stochastic integrals, even without a panel with which to pool tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Missouri in its series Working Papers with number 1001.
Length: 22 pgs.
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
VECM; panel VECM; cointegrating rank; trace test; nonlinear instruments;
Other versions of this item:
- Miller J. Isaac, 2010. "A Nonlinear IV Likelihood-Based Rank Test for Multivariate Time Series and Long Panels," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-38, September.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-07-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-07-10 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2010-07-10 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hanck, Christoph & Demetrescu, Matei & Tarcolea, Adina, 2012. "IV-Based Cointegration Testing in Dependent Panels with Time-Varying Variance," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62072, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Antonia Arsova & Deniz Dilan Karaman Oersal, 2013. "Likelihood-based panel cointegration test in the presence of a linear time trend and cross-sectional dependence," Working Paper Series in Economics 280, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Stratton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.