Cauchy Estimators For Autoregressive Processes With Applications To Unit Root Tests And Confidence Intervals
AbstractFor autoregressive processes, we propose new estimators whose pivotal statistics have the standard normal limiting distribution for all ranges of the autoregressive parameters. The proposed estimators are approximately median unbiased. For seasonal time series, the new estimators give us unit root tests that have limiting normal distribution regardless of period of the seasonality. Using the estimators, confidence intervals of the autoregressive parameters are constructed. A Monte-Carlo simulation for first-order autoregressions shows that the proposed tests for unit roots are locally more powerful than the tests based on the ordinary least squares estimators. It also shows that the proposed confidence intervals have shorter average lengths than those of Andrews (1993, Econometrica 61, 139 165) based on the ordinary least squares estimators when the autoregressive coefficient is close to one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wan Shin, Dong & Lee, Oesook, 2003. "An instrumental variable approach for tests of unit roots and seasonal unit roots in asymmetric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 29-52, July.
- Phillips, Peter C. B. & Park, Joon Y. & Chang, Yoosoon, 2004.
"Nonlinear instrumental variable estimation of an autoregression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 219-246.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park & Yoosoon Chang, 2001. "Nonlinear Instrumental Variable Estimation of an Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1331, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kuzin, Vladimir, 2005. "Recursive demeaning and deterministic seasonality," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 195-204, May.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2012.
"Taking a new contour: A novel approach to panel unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 15-28.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2004. "Taking a New Contour: A Novel Approach to Panel Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 2004-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Yoosoon Chang, 2004. "Taking a New Contour: A Novel Approach to Panel Unit Root Tests," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 796, Econometric Society.
- Beong So, 2005. "A new instrumental variable estimation for diffusion processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(4), pages 733-745, December.
- Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Mikusheva, Anna & Ng, Serena, 2012.
"Estimators For Persistent And Possibly Nonstationary Data With Classical Properties,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(05), pages 1003-1036, October.
- Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Anna Mikusheva & Serena Ng, 2011. "Estimators for Persistent and Possibly Non-Stationary Data with Classical Properties," NBER Working Papers 17424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shin, Dong Wan & So, Beong Soo, 1999. "New tests for unit roots in autoregressive processes with possibly infinite variance errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 387-397, October.
- Wan Shin, Dong & Soo So, Beong, 2001. "Confidence intervals for the largest root of autoregressive models based on instrumental variable estimators," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 181-189, May.
- Shin, Dong Wan & So, Beong Soo, 2000. "Gaussian tests for seasonal unit roots based on Cauchy estimation and recursive mean adjustments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 107-137, November.
- Choi, Chi-Young & Matsubara, Kiyoshi, 2007. "Heterogeneity in the persistence of relative prices: What do the Japanese cities tell us?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 260-286, June.
- Demetrescu, Matei & Hanck, Christoph, 2012. "A simple nonstationary-volatility robust panel unit root test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 10-13.
- Eiji Kurozumi & Kohei Aono, 2011. "Estimation and Inference in Predictive Regressions," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd11-192, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.