Prudential Responses to De Facto Dollarization
AbstractWe develop a theoretical framework that encompasses four distinct motives for dollarization and discuss appropriate policy responses to help contain dollarization and its attendant risks. "Moral hazard" dollarization provides a clear case for prudential policy activism, including through the introduction of currency-specific prudential norms. However, prudential reform will have only a limited impact on dollarization when the main culprits are fear of floating and lack of monetary credibility. In such cases, a concerted and comprehensive reform agenda, including market oriented and institutional reforms, would be needed to shift the balance of risks in favor of the peso. While quantitative limits on dollarization could also be used to speed up dedollarization, risks could be high.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in its series Business School Working Papers with number defactodollarization.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Marco Terrones & Luis CatÃ£o, 2000. "Determinants of Dollarization - The Banking Side," IMF Working Papers 00/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1999.
"Hedging and Financial Fragility in Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
7143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 2001. "Hedging and financial fragility in fixed exchange rate regimes," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1151-1193.
- Burnside, A Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1999. "Hedging and Financial Fragility in Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 2171, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1999. "Hedging and financial fragility in fixed exchange rate regimes," Working Paper Series WP-99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Luis Felipe Cespedes & Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 2000.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
7840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cowan, kevin & Quy-Toan Do, 2003. "Financial dollarization and central bank credibility," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3082, The World Bank.
- Douglas Gale & Xavier Vives, 2002.
"Dollarization, Bailouts, And The Stability Of The Banking System,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 467-502, May.
- Douglas Gale & Xavier Vives, 2001. "Dollarization, bailouts, and the stability of the banking system," Proceedings 729, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gale, Douglas & Vives, Xavier, 2002. "Dollarization, bailouts, and the stability of the banking system," HWWA Discussion Papers 185, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Gale, Douglas M & Vives, Xavier, 2001. "Dollarization, Bailouts and the Stability of the Banking System," CEPR Discussion Papers 2901, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Schneider & Aaron Tornell, 2004.
"Balance Sheet Effects, Bailout Guarantees and Financial Crises,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 883-913, 07.
- Martin Schneider & Aaron Tornell, 2000. "Balance SHeet Effects, Bailout Guarantees and Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 8060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Patrick Honohan & Alain Ize, 2003.
"Dollarization of the Banking System: Good or Bad?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/146, International Monetary Fund.
- De Nicolo, Gianni & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2003. "Dollarization of the banking system : good or bad?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3116, The World Bank.
- Michael P. Dooley, 1997.
"A Model of Crises in Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1997. "Credible Economic Liberalizations and Overborrowing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 189-93, May.
- Ize, Alain & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2003. "Financial dollarization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 323-347, March.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Pablo E. Guidotti, 1990. "Credibility and Nominal Debt: Exploring the Role of Maturity in Managing Inflation," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 612-635, September.
- Christian Broda & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2003.
"Endogenous deposit dollarization,"
160, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marcus Miller & Joseph Stiglitz, 1999. "Bankruptcy Protection Against Macroeconomics Shocks: The case for a 'super Chapter 11'," CSGR Hot Topics: Research on Current Issues 08, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2003. "Excessive Dollar Debt: Financial Development and Underinsurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 867-894, 04.
- Alain Ize & Eric Parrado, 2002. "Dollarization, Monetary Policy, and the Pass-Through," IMF Working Papers 02/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alain Ize, 2005.
"Financial De-Dollarization: Is It for Real?,"
IMF Working Papers
05/187, International Monetary Fund.
- Luis Fernando Escobar Patiño & Pablo Mendieta Ossio, 2003.
"Inflación y depreciación en una economía dolarizada. El caso de Bolivia,"
Revista de Análisis del BCB,
Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 6(2-1), pages 7-50, December.
- Luis Fernando Escobar Patiño & Pablo Hernán Mendieta Ossio, 2006. "Inflación y depreciación en una economía dolarizada: el caso de Bolivia," Monetaria, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 1-39, enero-mar.
- Matteo Bobba & Andrew Powell & Giuseppe Della Corte, 2007. "Sobre los determinantes de la elección de moneda internacional: Dominará el Euro en el Mundo?," Research Department Publications 4531, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Matteo Bobba & Andrew Powell & Giuseppe Della Corte, 2007. "On the Determinants of International Currency Choice: Will the Euro Dominate the World?," Research Department Publications 4530, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2005.
"Financial Dollarization and Dedollarization,"
78869, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Enrique L. Kawamura & Daniel Heymann, 2005. "On Liability Dollarization: A Simple Model with Domestic and Foreign Creditors," Working Papers 80, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Feb 2005.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2006. "Financial development in Latin America : big emerging issues, limited policy answers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3963, The World Bank.
- Rappoport, Veronica, 2009. "Persistence of dollarization after price stabilization," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 979-989, October.
- Liliana Schumacher & Jiro Honda, 2006. "Adopting Full Dollarization in Postconflict Economies: Would the Gains Compensate for the Losses in Liberia?," IMF Working Papers 06/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Antonio Garcia Pascual & Jorge Cayazzo & Socorro Heysen & Eva Gutierrez, 2006. "Toward an Effective Supervision of Partially Dollarized Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 06/32, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.