Credibility and Nominal Debt: Exploring the Role of Maturity in Managing Inflation
AbstractThe role of debt maturity in managing the government's incentives to use opportunistic inflation to reduce the ex post real value of its nominal liabilities is explored. The maturity structure of government debt is shown to be a powerful instrument for affecting the time profile of the inflation tax base and, hence, for mitigating the distortions introduced by time inconsistency on taxation policies. The nature of the optimal policy is shown to be heavily dependent on the type of precommitment enjoyed by policymakers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 37 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alain Ize & Andrew Powell, 2005.
"Prudential Responses to de facto Dollarization,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 241-262.
- Alain Ize & Andrew Powell, 2003. "Prudential Responses to De Facto Dollarization," Business School Working Papers defactodollarization, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Alain Ize & Andrew Powell, 2004. "Prudential Responses to De Facto Dollarization," IMF Working Papers 04/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Velasco, Andres, 1997. "When are fixed exchange rates really fixed?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 5-25, October.
- Bohn, Henning, 2010.
"The Economic Consequences of Rising U.S. Government Debt: Privileges at Risk,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt7kz6v3zs, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Henning Bohn, 2011. "The Economic Consequences of Rising U.S. Government Debt: Privileges at Risk," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 67(3), pages 282-302, September.
- Henning Bohn, 2010. "The Economic Consequences of Rising U.S. Government Debt: Privileges at Risk," CESifo Working Paper Series 3079, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sachs, Jeffrey & Tornell, Aaron & Velasco, Andres, 1996.
"The Mexican peso crisis: Sudden death or death foretold?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 265-283, November.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996. "The Mexican Peso Crisis: Sudden Death or Death Foretold?," NBER Working Papers 5563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996. "The Mexican Peso Crisis: Sudden Death or Death Foretold?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1760, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- De Broeck, Mark, 1997. "The financial structure of government debt in OECD countries: An examination of the time-consistency issue," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 279-301, July.
- Ramon-Ballester, Francisco & Wezel, Torsten, 2007. "International financial linkages of Latin American banks: the effects of political risk and deposit dollarisation," Working Paper Series 0744, European Central Bank.
- Amato, Amedeo & Tronzano, Marco, 2000. "Fiscal policy, debt management and exchange rate credibility: Lessons from the recent Italian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 921-943, June.
- Metin-Özcan, Kıvılcım & Us, Vuslat, 2007. "Dedollarization in Turkey after decades of dollarization: A myth or reality?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(1), pages 292-306.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.