Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits
AbstractImportant determinants of multinational firms’ choice of location include, besides resource cost and infrastructure, the taxation regime through its effects on international pricing and profits. This paper investigates the effects of tax rates on firms’ profits and financing decisions by analyzing a panel of several hundred thousand European firms for the years 1985 to 2010. Results indicate that taxation has a negative effect on overall firm profits but not on returns on shareholder funds. This is consistent with the observed positive effect of corporate taxation rates on the gearing ratio, i.e. the higher corporate tax rates in a particular jurisdiction the lower the share of equity financing of firms residing in that jurisdiction. This may indicate that high-tax jurisdictions deter valuable investment by multinational enterprises because they provide incentives to locate value-driving business parts requiring more equity financing elsewhere.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales in its series Documentos del Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico with number 2013-04.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Note: The views expressed in this paper are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the institutions he is affiliated with. Any information presented is of a general nature and does not address individual circumstances of any particular person or entity. The author would like to thank Mina Baliamoune-Lutz , Enrico Colombatto, Elisa Luciano, Giovanna Nicodano, Mario Pagliero, Luigi Benfratello, Andreas Höfer, Andreas Oehler, Thomas Egner, and participants of the I.R.E.F. workshop at Università di Torino on 30 November 2012 for helpful comments and suggestions as well as Keshav Goel for diligent research assistance; the usual disclaimer applies. Financial support by the Institute for Research in Fiscal and Economic Issues (I.R.E.F.) is gratefully acknowledged.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://economicasyempresariales.ucm.es/
More information through EDIRC
MNE; DCF; Capital structure; Corporate income tax; Transfer pricing.;
Other versions of this item:
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1214, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2013-02-03 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2013-02-03 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EUR-2013-02-03 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-PBE-2013-02-03 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André F. Perold, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 3-24, Summer.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Huizinga, Harry & Laeven, Luc & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2006.
"Capital Structure and International Debt Shifting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5882, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luc Laeven & Harry Huizinga & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2007. "Capital Structure and International Debt Shifting," IMF Working Papers 07/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Harry Huizinga & Luc Laeven & Gaëtan Nicodème, 2007. "Capital Structure and International Debt Shifting," Working Papers CEB 07-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Harry Huizinga & Luc Laeven & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2006. "Capital structure and international debt shifting," European Economy - Economic Papers 263, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Roger H. Gordon & Young Lee, 1999.
"Do Taxes Affect Corporate Debt Policy? Evidence from US Corporate Tax Return Data,"
NBER Working Papers
7433, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Lee, Young, 2001. "Do taxes affect corporate debt policy? Evidence from U.S. corporate tax return data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 195-224, November.
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2010.
"Entrepreneurship, Firm Entry, and the Taxation of Corporate Income: Evidence from Europe,"
2010-026, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Da Rin, Marco & Di Giacomo, Marina & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, firm entry, and the taxation of corporate income: Evidence from Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1048-1066.
- Da Rin, Marco & Di Giacomo, Marina & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, firm entry, and the taxation of corporate income: Evidence from Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1048-1066, October.
- Schindler, Dirk & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008.
"Multinationals, Minority Ownership and Tax-Efficient Financing Structures,"
2008/19, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Dirk Schindler & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2010. "Multinationals, Minority Ownership and Tax-Efficient Financing Structures," CESifo Working Paper Series 3034, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jack Mintz & Michael Smart, 2001.
"Income Shifting, Investment, and Tax Competition: Theory and Evidence from Provincial Taxation in Canada,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
554, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mintz, Jack & Smart, Michael, 2004. "Income shifting, investment, and tax competition: theory and evidence from provincial taxation in Canada," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1149-1168, June.
- Jack M. Mintz & Michael Smart, 2001. "Income Shifting, Investment, and Tax Competition: Theory and Evidence from Provincial Taxation in Canada," International Tax Program Papers 0402, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, revised Apr 2003.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2010.
"Corporate taxation and the size of new firms: Evidence from Europe,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3607199, Tilburg University.
- Marco Da Rin & Marina Di Giacomo & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2010. "Corporate Taxation and the Size of New Firms: Evidence from Europe," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 606-616, 04-05.
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2009. "Corporate Taxation and the Size of New Firms: Evidence From Europe," Discussion Paper 2009-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Risk premia in multi-national enterprises," ICER Working Papers 08-2012, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Feld, Lars P. & Heckemeyer, Jost H. & Overesch, Michael, 2011.
"Capital structure choice and company taxation: A meta-study,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-075, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Feld, Lars P. & Heckemeyer, Jost H. & Overesch, Michael, 2013. "Capital structure choice and company taxation: A meta-study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2850-2866.
- Lars P. Feld & Jost Henrich Heckemeyer & Michael Overesch, 2011. "Capital Structure Choice and Company Taxation: A Meta-Study," CESifo Working Paper Series 3400, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stephen Bond & Jing Xing, 2010. "Corporate taxation and capital accumulation," Working Papers 1015, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Weichenrieder, Alfons J, 1996. " Transfer Pricing, Double Taxation, and the Cost of Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(3), pages 445-52.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Gordon, Roger & Lee, Young, 2007. "Interest Rates, Taxes and Corporate Financial Policies," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 60(1), pages 65-84, March.
- Laurence Booth, 2001.
"Capital Structures in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 87-130, 02.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- Gordon, Roger H., 2010. "Taxation And Corporate Use Of Debt: Implications For Tax Policy," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 63(1), pages 151-74, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.