The Capital Asset Pricing Model
AbstractThe Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) revolutionized modern finance. Developed in the early 1960s by William Sharpe, Jack Treynor, John Lintner and Jan Mossin, the model provided the first coherent framework for relating the required return on an investment to the risk of that investment. This paper lays out the key ideas of the model, places its development in a historical context, and discusses its applications and enduring importance to the field of finance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 18 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Mayers, David, 1973. "Nonmarketable Assets and the Determination of Capital Asset Prices in the Absence of a Riskless Asset," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 258-67, April.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Lawrence Fisher & James H. Lorie, 1968. "Rates of Return on Investments in Common Stock: The Year-by-Year Record, 1926-65," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41, pages 291.
- Myron J. Gordon & Eli Shapiro, 1956. "Capital Equipment Analysis: The Required Rate of Profit," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 102-110, October.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- John Lintner, 1965. "Security Prices, Risk, And Maximal Gains From Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 587-615, December.
- Dayanandan, Ajit & Donker, Han, 2011. "Oil prices and accounting profits of oil and gas companies," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 252-257.
- Stefan Lutz, 2013.
"Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits,"
Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico
2013-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1214, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Urs von Arx & Andreas Ziegler, 2008. "The Effect of CSR on Stock Performance: New Evidence for the USA and Europe," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 08/85, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012.
"Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms,"
Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico
2012-25, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, revised Oct 2012.
- Stefan Lutz, 2011. "Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1120, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Janick Christian Mollet & Andreas Ziegler, 2012. "Is Socially Responsible Investing Really Beneficial? New Empirical Evidence for the US and European Stock Markets," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201228, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2007.
"Investor Sentiment in the Stock Market,"
NBER Working Papers
13189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz, Stefan, 2013.
"Risk premia in multi-national enterprises,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 293-305.
- Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2010. "Asset-pricing anomalies and spanning: Multivariate and multifactor tests with heavy-tailed distributions," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 763-782, September.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Risk premia in multi-national enterprises," ICER Working Papers 08-2012, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Andrew S Duncan & Guangling D Liu, 2009.
"Modelling South African Currency Crises as Structural Changes in the Volatility of the Rand,"
140, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Andrew stuart Duncan & Guangling"dave" Liu, 2009. "Modelling South African Currency Crises As Structural Changes In The Volatility Of The Rand," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 77(3), pages 363-379, 09.
- Hwang, Young-Soon & Min, Hong-Ghi & McDonald, Judith A. & Kim, Hwagyun & Kim, Bong-Han, 2010. "Using the credit spread as an option-risk factor: Size and value effects in CAPM," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2995-3009, December.
- Ziegler, Andreas & Busch, Timo & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2011. "Disclosed corporate responses to climate change and stock performance: An international empirical analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1283-1294.
- Stefan Lutz, 2011. "Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms," ICER Working Papers 15-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.