Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms
AbstractValuing a firm using the discounted cash flow method (DCF) requires the joint determination of the market value of its equity (MVE) together with the equity risk premium (ERP) the firm should earn, since the latter is part of the discount rate used in the calculation of the MVE. This paper presents a theoretical derivation of how MVE and ERP can be calculated simultaneously under fairly general conditions. Besides firm data on free cash flow to equity the only external data needed are the risk-free rate of interest and a parameter indicating the required market risk premium per return volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics, The University of Manchester in its series The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series with number 1120.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2012-25, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico, revised Oct 2012.
- Stefan Lutz, 2011. "Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms," ICER Working Papers 15-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- M4 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-09-16 (Business Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2011-09-16 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012.
"Risk premia in multi-national enterprises,"
ICER Working Papers
08-2012, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Lutz, Stefan, 2013. "Risk premia in multi-national enterprises," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 293-305.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2010.
"Risk as determinant of income and cross-border pricing of multi-national enterprises,"
ICER Working Papers
19-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2010. "Risk as determinant of income and crossborder pricing of multinational enterprises," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1018, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- R. Cesari, 2003. "Option Pricing and Asset Valuation," Working Papers 467, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- André F. Perold, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 3-24, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.