Corporate taxation and capital accumulation
AbstractWe present new empirical evidence that aggregate capital accumulation is strongly influenced by the user cost of capital and, in particular, by corporate tax incentives summarised in the tax-adjusted user cost. We use sectoral panel data for the USA, Japan, Australia and ten EU countries over the period 1982-2007. Our panel combines data on capital stocks, value-added and relative prices from the EU KLEMS database with measures of effective corporate tax rates from the Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation. Given the tax-adjusted user cost, we find little additional information in statutory corporate tax rates or effective average tax rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation in its series Working Papers with number 1015.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Park End Street, Oxford OX1 1HP UK
Phone: +44 (0)1865 288800
Fax: +44 (0)1865 288805
Web page: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/ideas-impact/tax/
More information through EDIRC
capital accumulation; user cost of capital; corporate taxation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Loretz, 2008.
"Corporate taxation in the OECD in a wider context,"
0821, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Bond, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2007. "Microeconometric Models of Investment and Employment," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 65 Elsevier.
- Austan Goolsbee, 1998.
"Taxes and the Quality of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
6731, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z. & Krusell, P., 1996.
"Long-Run Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change,"
RCER Working Papers
420, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Krusell, Per, 1997. "Long-Run Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 342-62, June.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z. & Krusell, P., 1995. "Long-Run Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9510, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1993. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1875-1911, December.
- Chirinko, Robert S. & Fazzari, Steven M. & Meyer, Andrew P., 1999. "How responsive is business capital formation to its user cost?: An exploration with micro data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 53-80, October.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Thierry Tressel, 2002. "Productivity and Convergence in a Panel of OECD Industries: Do Regulations and Institutions Matter?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 342, OECD Publishing.
- Cummins, J.G. & Hassett, K.A. & Hubbard, R.G., 1995.
"tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
95-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 1996. "Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 237-273, October.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1996. "Tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcel P. Timmer & Mary O’Mahony & Bart van Ark, 2007. "EU KLEMS Growth and Productivity Accounts: An Overview," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 14, pages 71-85, Spring.
- Fabling, Richard & Gemmell, Norman & Kneller, Richard & Sanderson, Lynda, 2013. "Estimating Firm-Level Effective Tax Rates and the User Cost of Capital in New Zealand," Working Paper Series 2854, Victoria University of Wellington, Chair in Public Finance.
- Richard Fabling & Norman Gemmell & Richard Kneller & Lynda Sanderson, 2013.
"Estimating Firm-Level Effective Marginal Tax Rates and the User Cost of Capital in New Zealand,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
13/29, New Zealand Treasury.
- Richard Fabling & Norman Gemmell & Richard Kneller & Lynda Sanderson, 2013. "Estimating Firm-Level Effective Marginal Tax Rates and the User Cost of Capital in New Zealand," Working Papers 13_14, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012.
"Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1214, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz, 2013. "Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2013-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Bull, Nicholas & Dowd, Tim & Moomau, Pamela, 2011. "Corporate Tax Reform: A Macroeconomic Perspective," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 64(4), pages 923-41, December .
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Li Liu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.