Corporate Taxation and the Size of New Firms: Evidence from Europe
AbstractUsing a novel country-industry level panel database with information on newly incorporated firms in 17 European countries between 1997 and 2004, we study how taxation of corporate income affects the size of entrants at the country-industry level. Our results, which are robust to changes in several assumptions, suggest that a one-unit reduction in the effective corporate income tax rate leads to a reduction of entrants' capital size that ranges from 2.7% to 14.4%. Results on labor size are more mixed in terms of both sign and size. These findings imply that a reduction in corporate taxation reduces the capital to labor ratio. (JEL: C23, H32, L26, L51, M13) (c) 2010 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Other versions of this item:
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2009. "Corporate Taxation and the Size of New Firms: Evidence From Europe," Discussion Paper 2009-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2010. "Corporate taxation and the size of new firms: Evidence from Europe," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3607199, Tilburg University.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- H32 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Firm
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William R. Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2010.
"Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints, and Firm Entry Size,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 582-593, 04-05.
- William Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2009. "Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints, and Firm Entry Size," NBER Working Papers 15499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William R. Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2009. "Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints and Firm Entry Size," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-010, Harvard Business School, revised Oct 2009.
- Silvia Ardagna & Annamaria Lusardi, 2010. "Heterogeneity in the Effect of Regulation on Entrepreneurship and Entry Size," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 594-605, 04-05.
- William Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2009.
"Financing Constraints and Entrepreneurship,"
NBER Working Papers
15498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1998.
"The taxation of discrete investment choices,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/16, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1998. "The Taxation of Discrete Investment Choices," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 98/08, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Ricjard Kneller & Danny McGowan, .
"Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries,"
12/01, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Richard Kneller & Danny McGowan, 2012. "Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries," Working Papers 12006, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Richard Kneller & Danny McGowan, . "Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries," Discussion Papers 11/08, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Alex Coad & Julian Frankish & Paul Nightingale & Richard G. Roberts & David J. Storey, 2012. "Business Experience and Start-up Size: Buying More Lottery Tickets Next Time Around?," SPRU Working Paper Series 203, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Huber, Peter & Oberhofer, Harald & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2012.
"Job Creation and the Intra-distribution Dynamics of the Firm Size Distribution,"
Working Papers in Economics and Finance
2012-5, University of Salzburg.
- Peter Huber & Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2011. "Job Creation and the Intra-distribution Dynamics of the Firm Size Distribution," WIFO Working Papers 395, WIFO.
- Stefan Lutz, 2013.
"Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits,"
Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico
2013-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1214, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- ANT Bozkaya & William R. Kerr, 2009.
"Labor Regulations and European Private Equity,"
Working Papers CEB
09-055.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fatica, Serena, 2009.
"Taxation and the quality of institutions: asymmetric effects on FDI,"
24179, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2010.
- Serena Fatica, 2010. "Taxation and the Quality of Institutions: Asymmetric Effects on FDI," Taxation Papers 21, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Silvia Ardagna & Annamaria Lusardi, 2009. "Heterogeneity in the effect of regulation on entrepreneurship and entry size," NBER Working Papers 15510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- European Commission, 2011. "Tax Reforms in EU Member States 2011: tax policy challenges for economic growth and fiscal sustainability," Taxation Papers 28, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.