Designing Fees for Music Copyright Holders in Radio Services
AbstractThis paper investigates which is the most desirable payment schedule, from a social welfare standpoint, for compensating IPR holders for music broadcast by radio stations. A model of a radio station that acts as a monopoly with respect to listeners and sells ads in a competitive market is presented. Two types of fees, ad valorem and per unit, are examined. Exploiting the similarity between taxes and fees, we extend results from taxation theory in two-sided markets to show that the case where only one side (i.e. advertisers) pays, while the other (the listeners) receives the service for free, diÂ¤ers somewhat from the case thus far considered by the literature, in which both sides pay. The results mildly support the prevailing regulatory approach, based on ad valorem fees.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS in its series POLIS Working Papers with number 166.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://polis.unipmn.it
regulation; radio; collecting agencies; IPR fees;
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Bombana & Carla Marchese, 2014. "Designing fees for music copyright holders in radio services," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2014(2), pages 5-19.
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- H44 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Goods: Mixed Markets
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-05-08 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CUL-2012-05-08 (Cultural Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008.
"Efficiency enhancing taxation in two-sided markets,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1531-1539, June.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Marko Köthenbürger & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2008. "Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2262, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008. "Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets," Discussion Papers 2008/1, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2005. "Fee versus royalty reconsidered," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 141-147, October.
- Paul Audley & Marcel Boyer, 2007. "The “Competitive” Value of Music to Commercial Radio Stations," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-30, CIRANO.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Press advertising and the political differentiation of newspapers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1561, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, Jean J & Laussel, Didier & Sonnac, Nathalie, 2002. " Press Advertising and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 317-34.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009.
"The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective,"
TSE Working Papers
09-098, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2010. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 222-55, May.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2007. "The pricing of academic journals: A two-sided market perspective," Economics Working Papers 1025, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2009.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," IDEI Working Papers 458, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Kreider, B., 1999.
"Tax incidece in Differentiated product Oligopoly,"
99-10, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Brent Kreider, 2000. "Tax Incidence in Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Virginia Economics Online Papers 341, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "Tax Incidence in Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Staff General Research Papers 5202, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 1999. "Tax incidence in differentiated product oligopoly," THEMA Working Papers 99-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 2000. "Tax Incidence in Differentiated Product Oligopoly," THEMA Working Papers 2000-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kamien, Morton I & Tauman, Yair, 1986. "Fees versus Royalties and the Private Value of a Patent," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(3), pages 471-91, August.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Marko Koethenbuerger & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2010.
"Tax responses in platform industries,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 764-783, October.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Wang, X. Henry, 1998. "Fee versus royalty licensing in a Cournot duopoly model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 55-62, July.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2011. "Media Firm Strategy and Advertising Taxes," Discussion Papers 2011/3, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-72, September.
- Przemyslaw Jeziorski, 2010. "Merger enforcement in two-sided markets," Economics Working Paper Archive 570, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucia Padovani).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.