Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets
AbstractThis paper examines the efficient provision of goods in two-sided markets and characterizes optimal specific and ad-valorem taxes. We show that (i) a monopoly may have too high output compared to the social optimum; (ii) output may be reduced by imposing negative value-added taxes (subsidy) or positive specific taxes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 2008/1.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 25 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Market Structure and Pricing; Efficiency; Optimal Taxation; Incidence;
Other versions of this item:
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008. "Efficiency enhancing taxation in two-sided markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1531-1539, June.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Marko Köthenbürger & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2008. "Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2262, CESifo Group Munich.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-04-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2008-04-21 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2008-04-21 (Network Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2008-04-21 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2008-04-21 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1978.
"Taxing price makers,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 423-455, December.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Marko Koethenbuerger & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2006.
"Taxation in Two-Sided Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1871, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Auerbach, Alan J. & Hines, James Jr., 2002.
"Taxation and economic efficiency,"
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 21, pages 1347-1421
- Sofia Delipalla & Michael Keen, 1991.
"The Comparison Between Ad Valorem and Specific Taxation under Imperfect Competition,"
821, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Delipalla, Sofia & Keen, Michael, 1992. "The comparison between ad valorem and specific taxation under imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 351-367, December.
- Evans David S., 2003. "Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-sided Platform Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-19, September.
- Dirk Schindler & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2010.
"Profit Shifting in Two-Sided Markets,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 373-383.
- Bombana, Roberto & Marchese, Carla, 2012. "Designing Fees for Music Copyright Holders in Radio Services," POLIS Working Papers 166, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Guttorm Schjelderup & Frank Stähler, 2011.
"Newspaper Differentiation and Investments in Journalism: The Role of Tax Policy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3582, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Guttorm Schjelderup & Frank Stähler, 2013. "Newspaper Differentiation and Investments in Journalism: The Role of Tax Policy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(317), pages 131-148, 01.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Schjelderup, Guttorm & Stähler, Frank, 2011. "Newspaper Differentiation and Investments in Journalism: The Role of Tax Policy," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 16/2011, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Schjelderup, Guttorm & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "Newspaper Differentiation and Investments in Journalism: The Role of Tax Policy," Discussion Papers 2009/12, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Li, Aijun & Lin, Boqiang, 2013. "Comparing climate policies to reduce carbon emissions in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 667-674.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.