Star-Shaped Probability Weighting Functions and Overbidding in First-Price Auctions
AbstractThere is a debate about whether risk aversion is the main source of overbidding in a first-price independent private values auction. As an alternative, we adopt a non-expected utility framework, and identify an interpretable property on the probability weighting function which always induces overbidding.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) in its series TSE Working Papers with number 09-024.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
probability weighting function; auctions; overbidding; non-expected utility; risk aversion;
Other versions of this item:
- Armantier, Olivier & Treich, Nicolas, 2009. "Star-shaped probability weighting functions and overbidding in first-price auctions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 83-85, August.
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Milgrom & Robert J. Weber, 1981.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
447R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Wakker, Peter & Tversky, Amos, 1993. " An Axiomatization of Cumulative Prospect Theory," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 147-75, October.
- Drazen Prelec, 1998. "The Probability Weighting Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 497-528, May.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Olivier Armantier & Nicolas Treich, 2009. "Subjective Probabilities In Games: An Application To The Overbidding Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1079-1102, November.
- Landsberger, Michael & Meilijson, Isaac, 1990. "Lotteries, insurance, and star-shaped utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Goeree, Jacob & Holt, Charles, 2000.
"Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private-value Auctions,"
1073, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Goeree, Jacob K. & Holt, Charles A. & Palfrey, Thomas R., 2002. "Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private-Value Auctions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 247-272, May.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Charles A. Holt & Thomas R. Palfrey, 2000. "Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private-Value Auctions," Virginia Economics Online Papers 345, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00212281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 2001. "Rank-dependent preferences without ranking axioms," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 547-562, July.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Zank, Horst, 2001. "A new axiomatization of rank-dependent expected utility with tradeoff consistency for equally likely outcomes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 483-491, July.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Cohen, Michele & Meilijson, Isaac, 2004.
"Four notions of mean-preserving increase in risk, risk attitudes and applications to the rank-dependent expected utility model,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 547-571, August.
- Luce, R Duncan & Fishburn, Peter C, 1991. " Rank- and Sign-Dependent Linear Utility Models for Finite First-Order Gambles," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 29-59, January.
- Cox, James C & Smith, Vernon L & Walker, James M, 1988. " Theory and Individual Behavior of First-Price Auctions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 61-99, March.
- Thomas Palfrey, 2002. "Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private Value Auctions," Theory workshop papers 357966000000000089, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Chew, Soo Hong, 1983. "A Generalization of the Quasilinear Mean with Applications to the Measurement of Income Inequality and Decision Theory Resolving the Allais Paradox," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1065-92, July.
- repec:wyi:journl:002158 is not listed on IDEAS
- Filiz-Ozbay, Emel & Ozbay, Erkut Y., 2010. "Anticipated loser regret in third price auctions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 217-219, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.