To acquire, or to compete? An entry dilemma
AbstractIn this paper we address the following question : is it more profitable, for an entrant in a differentiated market, to acquire an existing firm than to compete? We illustrate the answer by considering competition in the banking sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sapienza University of Rome, DISS in its series Working Papers with number 4/10.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazzale Aldo Moro, 5 - 00184 ROMA
Phone: +39+06491914 (int. 20563)
Fax: +39+06491914 (int. 20563)
Web page: http://www.diss.uniroma1.it/RePEc/index.html
More information through EDIRC
M&A; entry dilemma; banking;
Other versions of this item:
- Jean J. GABSZEWICZ & Didier, LAUSSEL & Ornella, TAROLLA, 2008. "To acquire or to compete ? An entry dilemna," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008019, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & LAUSSEL, Didier & TAROLA, Ornella, 2008. "To acquire, or to compete? An entry dilemna," CORE Discussion Papers 2008027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1988.
"Foreign Counterfeiting of Status Goods,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 79-100, February.
- Jean-François Hennart & Young-Ryeol Park, 1993.
"Greenfield vs. Acquisition: The Strategy of Japanese Investors in the United States,"
INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1054-1070, September.
- Hennart, J.-F. & Park, Y.R., 1993. "Greenfield vs. Acquisition : the strategy of Japanes investors in the United states," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-174430, Tilburg University.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan & Frank Stähler, 2006.
"Asset Ownership and Foreign-Market Entry,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1676, CESifo Group Munich.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2008.
"Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions Policy in Service Markets,"
Working Paper Series
743, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008. "Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions Policy in Service Markets," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 269-293, December.
- Kim, Moshe & Kliger, Doron & Vale, Bent, 2003. "Estimating switching costs: the case of banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Smith, Michael D & Brynjolfsson, Erik, 2001.
"Consumer Decision-Making at an Internet Shopbot: Brand Still Matters,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 541-58, December.
- Michael D. Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 2001. "Consumer Decision-making at an Internet Shopbot: Brand Still Matters," NBER Chapters, in: E-commerce, pages 541-558 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2009.
"The choice of market entry mode: Greenfield investment, M&A and joint venture,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-10, January.
- Stähler, Frank & Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007. "The Choice of Market Entry Mode: Greenfield Investment, M&A and Joint Venture," Economics Working Papers 2007,19, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Lynne M. Pepall, 2002.
"The Simple Economics of Brand Stretching,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 535-552, July.
- Lynne Pepall & Dan Richards, 1999. "The Simple Economics of "Brand-Stretching"," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9905, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Steve Tadelis, 1997.
"What's in a Name? Reputation as a Tradeable Asset,"
97033, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Eicher, Theo & Kang, Jong Woo, 2005.
"Trade, foreign direct investment or acquisition: Optimal entry modes for multinationals,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 207-228, June.
- Theo Eicher & Jong Woo Kang, 2004. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment or Acquisition: Optimal Entry Modes for Multinationals," CESifo Working Paper Series 1174, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vale, Bent, 1993. " The Dual Role of Demand Deposits under Asymmetric Information," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(1), pages 77-95.
- Nocke, Volker & Yeaple, Stephen, 2007. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions vs. greenfield foreign direct investment: The role of firm heterogeneity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 336-365, July.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2011.
"Stability analysis in a Bertrand duopoly with different product quality and heterogeneous expectations,"
2011/122, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011. "Stability analysis in a Bertrand duopoly with different product quality and heterogeneous expectations," MPRA Paper 33480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pierluigi Montalbano).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.