Can Partial Fiscal Coordination Be Welfare Worsening? A model of tax competition
AbstractMost work on tax competition argues that mobile factors tend to be undertaxed except if there is coordination of tax policies. Full coordination is not however always feasible, and as a consequence some measures of partial coordination have been proposed such as minimal witholding taxes on interest income. We show that partial coordination can be in some instances welfare worsening and that then no coordination is to be preferred.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège in its series CREPP Working Papers with number 0205.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard du Rectorat, 7, Batiment 31, boite 39, 4000 Liege
Phone: + 32 (0) 4 366 31 08
Fax: + 32 (0) 4 366 31 06
Web page: http://www2.ulg.ac.be/crepp/
More information through EDIRC
tax competition; tax coordination; witholding tax;
Other versions of this item:
- Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre & Sato, Motohiro, 2003. "Can partial fiscal coordination be welfare worsening?: A model of tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 451-458, November.
- MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre & SATO, Motohiro, 2002. "Can partial fiscal coordination be welfare worsening ? A model of tax competition," CORE Discussion Papers 2002052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jun-ichi Itaya & Makoto Okamuraz & Chikara Yamaguchix, 2009. "Partial tax coordination in a repeated game setting," Working Papers 2009/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Sven Wehke, 2008.
"Fighting Tax Competition in the Presence of Unemployment: Complete versus Partial Tax Coordination,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Sven Wehke, 2007. "Fighting Tax Competition in the Presence of Unemployment: Complete versus Partial Tax Coordination," FEMM Working Papers 07010, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mathieu Lefebvre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.