International Investment and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from Small Open Economies
AbstractAbstract: This paper examines the causal link between foreign investment and firm performance in six small open economies in the European Union. Specifically, using micro data for manufacturing and services over the period 2001-2009, we analyse the effects of foreign mergers and acquisitions on labour productivity and employment growth up to five years after acquisition. Our results indicate that foreign investors tend to acquire larger firms in both manufacturing and services. Other characteristics of acquired firms differ across countries and between manufacturing and services. Taken together, our estimates suggest that foreign investment had stronger effects on firm performance in services in comparison to manufacturing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series ETLA Reports with number 6.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-04-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2013-04-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2013-04-20 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sándor Csengödi & Rolf Jungnickel & Dieter M. Urban, 2008. "Foreign Takeovers and Wages in Hungary," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 55-82, April.
- Olivier Bertrand & Habib Zitouna, 2008.
"Domestic versus cross-border acquisitions: which impact on the target firms' performance?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(17), pages 2221-2238.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Zitouna, Habib, 2005. "Domestic versus Cross-Border Acquisitions: Which Impact on the Target Frims' Performance?," Working Paper Series 647, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Anselm Mattes, 2010. "International M&A: Evidence on Effects of Foreign Takeovers," IAW Discussion Papers 60, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.