Domestic versus Cross-Border Acquisitions: Which Impact on the Target Frims' Performance?
AbstractThis paper investigates the effects of horizontal acquisitions on the performance of target firms in the 1990's. Using French manufacturing firm-level data, we examine two main indicators of performance: the profit and the productive efficieny. We distinguish domestic from cross-in-difference estimation techniques associated to a matching propensity score procedure. We find that M&A do not increase the profit of French target firms. These results suggest that firms probably redistribute efficiency gains at the upstream and/or downstream production stage. There is no evidence of an increase in market power. In addition, the consequences of domestic and cross-border M&A significantly differ. Efficiency gains are stronger for cross-border M&A. This conclusion is however true only for extra-Europan Union operations. The achievement in the European economic integrtion certainly explains the absence of difference between European and domestic acquisitions. Finally, our results cast some doubt on the frequent discrimination attitude towards foreign takeovers and the fears of their impact on firms' performance and the hos country's welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Industrial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 647.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 24 Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Multinational Firms; Foreign Direct Investment; Mergers and Acquisitions; Take-Overs; Firms' Performance;
Other versions of this item:
- Olivier Bertrand & Habib Zitouna, 2008. "Domestic versus cross-border acquisitions: which impact on the target firms' performance?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(17), pages 2221-2238.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-11-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2005-11-12 (Economics of Strategic Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Modén, Karl-Markus & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007.
"Efficiency and Ownership Structure – The Case of Poland,"
Working Paper Series
703, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Karl-Markus Modén & Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008. "Efficiency and Ownership Structure: The Case of Poland," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 437-460, 03.
- Schiffbauer, Marc & Siedschlag, Iulia & Ruane, Frances, 2009. "Do Foreign Mergers & Acquisitions Boost Firm Productivity?," Papers DYNREG47, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Leila Baghdadi & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Celestino Suárez-Burguet & Habib Zitouna, 2012. "Is the road to regional integration paved with pollution convergence?," Working Papers 2012/03, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Baghdadi, Leila & Martinez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Zitouna, Habib, 2013. "Are RTA agreements with environmental provisions reducing emissions?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 378-390.
- Lehto, Eero, 2011. "Electricity prices in the Finnish retail market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 2179-2192, April.
- Takechi, Kazutaka, 2013. "Understanding the productivity effect of M&A in Japan: An empirical analysis of the electronics industry from 1989 to 1998," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 1-9.
- Kaitila, Ville & McQuinn, John & Siedschlag, Iulia & Zhang, Xiaoheng, 2013. "International Investment and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from Small Open Economies," ETLA Reports 6, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Walter Park & Ralph Sonenshine, 2012. "Impact of Horizontal Mergers on Research & Development and Patenting: Evidence from Merger Challenges in the U.S," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 143-167, March.
- Mano, Yukichi & Suzuki, Aya, 2013. "Industrial Development through Takeovers and Exits: the Case of the Cut Flower Exporters in Ethiopia," Discussion Papers 2013-05, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Anca-Simona HROMEI, 2013. "Reasons For Mergers And Their Impact On Companies," CrossCultural Management Journal, Fundația Română pentru Inteligența Afacerii, Editorial Department, issue 27, pages 82-88, February.
- John P. Weche Geluebcke, 2012. "Foreign and Domestic Takeovers in Germany: First Comparative Evidence on the Post-acquisition Target Performance using new Data," Working Paper Series in Economics 249, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.