Another Look at the Income Elasticity of Non-Point Source Air Pollutants: A Semiparametric Approach
AbstractIn this paper, a semiparametric model is used to examine the relationship between pollution and income for three non-point source pollutants. Statistical tests reject the quadratic specification in favor of the semiparametric model in all cases. However, the results do not support the inverted-U hypothesis for the pollution-income relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group in its series Working Papers with number 2004-07.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Environmental Kuznets curve; choice of functional form; nonparametric estimation;
Other versions of this item:
- Roy, Nilanjana & Cornelis van Kooten, G., 2004. "Another look at the income elasticity of non-point source air pollutants: a semiparametric approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 17-22, October.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
- Taskin, Fatma & Zaim, Osman, 2000. "Searching for a Kuznets curve in environmental efficiency using kernel estimation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 217-223, August.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Ullah, Aman, 2005. "A nonparametric random effects estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 403-407, September.
- Daniel L. Millimet & John A. List & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Real Progress or Misspecified Models?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1038-1047, November.
- Stengos, T. & Millimet, D.L. & List, J.A., 2002. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Real Progress or Misspecified Models?," Working Papers 2002-13, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- David E. A. Giles & Carl Mosk, 2003. "Ruminant Eructation and a Long-Run Environmental Kuznets' Curve for Enteric Methane in New Zealand: Conventional and Fuzzy Regression Analysis," Econometrics Working Papers 0306, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
- Khanna, Neha, 2002. "The income elasticity of non-point source air pollutants: revisiting the environmental Kuznets curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 387-392, November.
- Qi Li & Thomas J. Kniesner, 2002. "Nonlinearity in dynamic adjustment: Semiparametric estimation of panel labor supply," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 131-148.
- Gang Liu & Terje Skjerpen & Anders Rygh Swensen & Kjetil Telle, 2006.
"Unit Roots, Polynomial Transformations and the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
443, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Gang Liu & Terje Skjerpen & Kjetil Telle, 2009. "Unit roots, polynomial transformations and the environmental Kuznets curve," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 285-288.
- Azomahou, Théophile & Laisney, François & van Phu, Nguyen, 2005.
"Economic Development and CO2 Emissions: A Nonparametric Panel Approach,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-56, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Azomahou, Theophile & Laisney, Francois & Nguyen Van, Phu, 2006. "Economic development and CO2 emissions: A nonparametric panel approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1347-1363, August.
- Sebri, Maamar, 2009.
"La Zone Méditerranéenne Face à la Pollution de L’air : Une Investigation Econométrique
[The Mediterranean Zone in front of Air pollution: an Econometric Investigation]," MPRA Paper 32382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zanin, Luca & Marra, Giampiero, 2012. "Assessing the functional relationship between CO2 emissions and economic development using an additive mixed model approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1328-1337.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, .
"The Economics of Nonpoint Source Pollution,"
DEOS Working Papers
1233, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Phu Nguyen Van, 2008. "Energy consumption and economic development:a semiparametric panel analysis," THEMA Working Papers 2008-03, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Phu Nguyen-Van, 2009.
"Energy consumption and income : a semiparametric panel data analysis,"
Working Papers of BETA
2009-26, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Nguyen-Van, Phu, 2010. "Energy consumption and income: A semiparametric panel data analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 557-563, May.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Anna Montini & Roberto Zoboli, 2007. "Economic Dynamics, Emission Trends and the EKC Hypothesis New Evidence Using NAMEA and Provincial Panel Data for Italy," Working Papers 2007.24, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jie He & Patrick Richard, 2009.
"Environmental Kuznets Curve for CO2 in Canada,"
Cahiers de recherche
09-13, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- He, Jie & Wang, Hua, 2011.
"Economic structure, development policy and environmental quality : an empirical analysis of environmental Kuznets curves with Chinese municipal data,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5756, The World Bank.
- He, Jie & Wang, Hua, 2012. "Economic structure, development policy and environmental quality: An empirical analysis of environmental Kuznets curves with Chinese municipal data," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 49-59.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Anna Montini & Roberto Zoboli, 2008. "Environmental Kuznets Curves for Air Pollutant Emissions in Italy: Evidence from Environmental Accounts (NAMEA) Panel Data," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 277-301.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G.C. van Kooten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.