The Effect of Emissions on U.S. State Total Factor Productivity Growth
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of sulphur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions on the Total Factor Productivity (TFP) growth among 48 contiguous U.S. states, for the period 1965-2002. The relationship between TFP growth and emissions is examined using nonparametric econometric techniques that allow for the estimation of the elasticity of pollution for each state and each period and to account for possible nonlinearities in the data. The results indicate that both pollutants positively affect TFP growth. Moreover this effect is nonlinear. The average output elasticity for all states is 0.005 for SO2 and 0.04 for NOx emissions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its journal Review of Economic Analysis.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org/
TFP growth; emissions; semiparametric estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cole, Matthew A., 2003. "Development, trade, and the environment: how robust is the Environmental Kuznets Curve?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 557-580, October.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
- Lauwers, Ludwig, 2009. "Justifying the incorporation of the materials balance principle into frontier-based eco-efficiency models," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(6), pages 1605-1614, April.
- Stijn Reinhard & C.A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 1999. "Econometric Estimation of Technical and Environmental Efficiency: An Application to Dutch Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 44-60.
- Mamuneas, T.P. & Savvides, A. & Stengos, T., 2002.
"Economic Development and the Return to Human Capital: A Smooth Coefficient Semiparametric Approach,"
2002-14, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Savvides & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2006. "Economic development and the return to human capital: a smooth coefficient semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 111-132.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & M. F. J. Steel, 2004.
"Alternative efficiency measures for multiple-output production,"
ESE Discussion Papers
65, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Koop, Gary & Steel, Mark F.J., 2005. "Alternative efficiency measures for multiple-output production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 411-444, June.
- William L. Weber & Bruce Domazlicky, 2001. "Productivity Growth and Pollution in State Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 195-199, February.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2004. "Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis: A Survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 431-455, August.
- Andros Kourtellos, 2002. "Modeling Parameter Heterogeneity in Cross Country Growth Regression Models," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0212, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Murty, Sushama & Russell, R. Robert, 2010.
"On modeling pollution-generating technologies,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
931, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Azomahou, Theophile & Laisney, Francois & Nguyen Van, Phu, 2006.
"Economic development and CO2 emissions: A nonparametric panel approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1347-1363, August.
- Azomahou, Théophile & Laisney, François & van Phu, Nguyen, 2005. "Economic Development and CO2 Emissions: A Nonparametric Panel Approach," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-56, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rüdiger Pethig, 2005.
"Nonlinear Production, Abatement, Pollution and Materials Balance Reconsidered,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1549, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pethig, Rudiger, 2006. "Non-linear production, abatement, pollution and materials balance reconsidered," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 185-204, March.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Zhang, Wenyang & Lee, Sik-Yum & Song, Xinyuan, 2002. "Local Polynomial Fitting in Semivarying Coefficient Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 166-188, July.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Carl A Pasurka, Jr., 2001. "Accounting for Air Pollution Emissions in Measures of State Manufacturing Productivity Growth," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 381-409.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993.
"The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth: Pollution in three proto-type growth models,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153405, Tilburg University.
- Raymond Gradus & Sjak Smulders, 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth—Pollution in three prototype growth models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- Vouvaki, Dimitra & XEPAPADEAS, Anastasios, 2008. "Total Factor Productivity Growth when Factors of Production Generate Environmental Externalities," MPRA Paper 10237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vangelis Tzouvelekas & Dimitra Vouvaki & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2006.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth and the Environment: A Case for Green Growth Accounting,"
0617, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & E. Tzouvelekas & D. Vouvaki, 2007. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and the Environment: A Case for Green Growth Accounting," Working Papers 2007.38, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carl Pasurka, 2008. "Perspectives on Pollution Abatement and Competitiveness: Theory, Data, and Analyses," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(2), pages 194-218, Summer.
- Li, Q. & Hsiao, C., 1998. "Testing serial correlation in semiparametric panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 207-237, September.
- Smulders, J.A., 1995.
"Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153411, Tilburg University.
- Lans Bovenberg, A. & Smulders, Sjak, 1995. "Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 369-391, July.
- Li, D. & Stengos, T., 1999.
"Testing Serial Correlation in Semiparametric Time Series Model,"
1999-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Dingding Li & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "Testing Serial Correlation in Semiparametric Time Series Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 311-335, 05.
- Gary Koop, 1998. "Carbon dioxide emissions and economic growth: A structural approach," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 489-515.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-80, May.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis. & Theofanis P. Mamuneas. & Thanasis Stengos., 2008. "The Contribution of Greenhouse Pollution to Productivity Growth," Working Papers 0802, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- David I. Stern & Tony Auld & Michael S. Common & Kali K. Sanyal, 1998.
"Is there an environmental Kuznets curve for sulfur?,"
Working Papers in Ecological Economics
9804, Australian National University, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Ecological Economics Program.
- Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S., 2001. "Is There an Environmental Kuznets Curve for Sulfur?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 162-178, March.
- List, John A. & Gallet, Craig A., 1999. "The environmental Kuznets curve: does one size fit all?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 409-423, December.
- Li, Qi, et al, 2002. "Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 412-22, July.
- Rüdiger Pethig, 2003. "The 'materials balance approach' to pollution: its origin, implications and acceptance," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 105-03, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Preston,A. J. & Pagan,A. R., 2008. "The Theory of Economic Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521070225, October.
- Stengos, T. & Millimet, D.L. & List, J.A., 2002.
"The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Real Progress or Misspecified Models?,"
2002-13, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Daniel L. Millimet & John A. List & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Real Progress or Misspecified Models?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1038-1047, November.
- Alberto Ansuategi, 2003. "Economic Growth and Transboundary Pollution in Europe: An Empirical Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(2), pages 305-328, October.
- Chimeli, Ariaster B. & Braden, John B., 2005. "Total factor productivity and the environmental Kuznets curve," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 366-380, March.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask J. Fernando Reyes to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.