The Effects On Environmental Investment Of Changes In Tourism Demand
AbstractIn this short paper we analyze the impact of tourist demand in hotel rooms on the investment of hotels on environmental quality. We show that when income of the tourists increases, then to maintain the demand for rooms, the hotels must in-crease the investment on the environmental quality of the region where there is an increment of the tourist activity. In the particular case where we have three differ-ent hotel chains located in three different tourist regions, we show that the incen-tive of hotel chains to invest in environmental quality depends on the demand for days of rest on the part of tourists and on the level of aggregate income. We also show that if total income increase, then the incentive to invest in environmental quality increases in the region where the price of a hotel room is lower.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6372.
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in TOURISMOS: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism 2.2(2007): pp. 129-140
environmental investment; hotelling competition; service quality; sustainable tourism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M0 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - General
- D0 - Microeconomics - - General
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-01-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENV-2008-01-05 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2008-01-05 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malgorzata Ogonowska & Dominique Torre, 2012. "Sustainable Tourism and the emergence of new Environmental Norms," Post-Print halshs-00726127, HAL.
- Malgorzata Ogonowska & Dominique Torre, 2013. "Residents' Influence on the Adoption of Environmental Norms in Tourism," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-17, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Pereyra, Juan S., 2008. "Tourism Taxation and Environmental Quality in a Model with Vertical Differentiation," MPRA Paper 25305, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Dec 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.